• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rexing and RMX Question

Share/Bookmark

Rexing and RMX Question

I use RMX and love it but have never used Recycle.
    So this question pertains to how well I might be able to use both apps together.

I have some loops I'd like to be able to dissect/change keys & tempo/slice for hits etc,.. like Bill Bruford.

I was also thinking of buying Vocal Planet & SOV as I had heard them at a friends studio.

the drawback to many of these being key and tempo.

do these sample loops REX and work well in RMX?

thanks

Peter

Re: Rexing and RMX Question

Way too broad of a question to give an easy answer. :-)

Generally speaking, the more percussive and dry the material, the better it will work. Tonal stuff can be quite tricky too.

Still it's quite useful for tonal stuff (watch the "Using your own audio" tutorial video)....but expect better results going faster than slower. We go to great lengths to get the super-high quality results for slowing down grooves that you hear in the core library and SAGE Xpanders.

http://support.spectrasonics.net/ins...ial-videos.php

Hey,
    Thanks very much for the reply Eric, I did watch video, great stuff!

I'll make the question easier ,.. hopefully ? I was impressed with the Vocal planet and I think SOV, wasn't sure which was which when I heard them.

The friend mentioned the limitations were that there were lots of loops, again not sure which lib he was referring to ? maybe both. You know though.

How do both of the above libs handle rexing and use in RMX?

thanks again

best

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMcC
    Hey,
    Thanks very much for the reply Eric, I did watch video, great stuff!

I'll make the question easier ,.. hopefully ? I was impressed with the Vocal planet and I think SOV, wasn't sure which was which when I heard them.

The friend mentioned the limitations were that there were lots of loops, again not sure which lib he was referring to ? maybe both. You know though.
    VP has many phrases and few multisamples
    SOV has many multisamples and few phrases

How do both of the above libs handle rexing and use in RMX?
    Neither....legato vocal phrases are tough. Percussive is much better.

RMX is really a rhythm tool...it can do pitched stuff as long as it's very rhythmic, but you may have a hard time getting results comparable to those in the core library...they are obviously using some secret black magic that goes beyond recycle when cooking those up.

If you'd like more control over melodic phrases, I think you should be looking at Celemony's Melodyne software. That's an excellent tool for working with vocal phrases for example.

matto

Go Back to forum