• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Notion" (?)

Share/Bookmark

"Notion" (?)

I keep getting advertising e-mails from this company.

https://www1024.ssldomain.com/notionmusic/store/index.cfm

Does anyone know anything about the sound generation program "Notion"?

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Notion" (?)

All that I know is that it is a new notation program, and that its ads appear at the top of this site all of the time.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    All that I know is that it is a new notation program, and that its ads appear at the top of this site all of the time.
    OK, thanks. I wasn't aware of their ads on this forum.

I should have posted my initial message in the Sample Libraries Discussion section.

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I have tried their demo CD. (They sent it really fast! )

My personal feelings. The sounds are good (The London Symphony Orchestra sampled), but not on par (IMHO) with GPO. The notation aspect uses a combination RH mouse with LH keyboard clicks to accomplish writing or obviously midi input (although I didn't try that). It feels awkward but looks good. I don't feel it has as much control over format of score and parts as does Finale or Sibelius. Dynamics and articulations are its forte (no pun intended) and the playback response to those is excellent.

Its major strong point is the ability for a small ensemble of real musicians to be able to play along with larger sections and especially good sounding sections of the London Symphony Orch. There is a track specifically assigned to tempo tap at a qwerty keyboard. If, for instance you have a group of band members playing wind and percussion parts and would like them to play a full symphonic orchestra score to e.g. Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. You would mute all the wind and percussion parts and have the computer play all the string parts. A player would sit at a computer and tap the beat in time with the conductor and VOILA! you have a complete symphony orchestra performing at your next High School band concert!

This is just my opinion and is definitely OT from GPO. I do not endorse or recommend it. This is just a response to the questions in this thread.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

tried the demo cd, too. the tap tempo is great to make a tempo curve or to control "live" the whole playing tempo. also I like the way how the cursor works. but notion has no midi export, no vsti support....it works only with the basic-sound package that comes with the cd. additional sounds you have to pay additionally.

The printed output is what mainly matters to me. Suffice to say I don't plan to switch from Finale anytime soon.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thanks, y'all, for the detailed rundown on this new software.

Best regards,

Larry Alexander
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    I keep getting advertising e-mails from this company.

https://www1024.ssldomain.com/notionmusic/store/index.cfm

Does anyone know anything about the sound generation program "Notion"?

Larry A.
    Larry and all...

It is a product conceived and executed by Jack Jarrett, formerly of the Berklee School of Music as well as the programmer of the old DOS program MusicPrinter Plus.

Out of curiosity, I bought a copy from a member of the GenieSoft board...all legal, transferred license, etc.

FIRST:
    *IT IS COPY-PROTECTED WITH A DONGLE--a USB iLok. It is fragile.
    *Be very careful it doesn't split where the metal meets the plastic. It will cost you critical parts of your anatomy to replace the iLok.

SOUNDS:
    *Not as good as GPO, and a limited set of sounds compared to GPO.
    *If you want the completeness of GPO, you'll have to fork out for extra instrument sets that are pricey considering what you (don't) get.

CONTROL:
    *OK--the tempo tap is nice as Rich said, and the dynamics and artics you select control what sound is called up. Kinda like Overture 4's automation.
    *LIMITED FLEXIBILITY: It's not possible to use Notion sounds as a VST or DXi in other apps, and Notion cannot use any libraries except its own.

NOTATION:
    *Elemental...no competition for Overture, Finale, or Sibelius.
    *Scores & parts limited to certain sizes only. Note entry OK.
    *I wouldn't necessarily pass out a Notion part to anything past a school group for simple pieces

CONCLUSION:
    *Its best use is as an ultra-quick sketchpad or to try a phrase out with no tweaking.
    *Actually, I plan to donate it to the college where I teach to give the theory stoonts something to do their assignments on & hear them.
    *It's also overpriced IMHO, so low bang for the buck.

*The more I see other products, the more I appreciate GPO and JABB
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

I also tried it and was left flat by the sounds, just sounds too synthy for my taste. Just my two cents for what it is worth.

Peace

rikp

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax

FIRST:
    *IT IS COPY-PROTECTED WITH A DONGLE--a USB iLok. It is fragile.
    *Be very careful it doesn't split where the metal meets the plastic. It will cost you critical parts of your anatomy to replace the iLok.

[/COLOR]
    For me personally anything that carries a dongle can stay where it is whatever its merits or otherwise .. I won't touch it. As I say, just a personal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by korgsp200
    ..... even if it turns out to be not that successful..like how Gary pointed out that we must not say that something sucks or whatever.
    Unless I've misunderstood or missed something I think Gary was referring to members of the forum responding to compositions and arrangements posted for listening and comment by members and I'm entirely in agreement with this. I don't think this included reporting back on bad experiences with hardware or software related to our efforts and use of GPO. A search of the forums will reveal many examples of grumbles and negative comments with, for example, Finale, Cubase, Sonar, Kontakt player and GPO itself! This is not intended to be any reflection on 'Notion' at all .. as I say I haven't even looked at it .. but I certainly don't think that Gary intended to 'stifle' reporting on an application feature or hardware that 'sucks'.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum