• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Rachmaninov - Vocalise Op. 34, No. 14

Share/Bookmark

Rachmaninov - Vocalise Op. 34, No. 14

I am working on a K2 script, that facilitates the use of the Garritan Stradivari - and, I hope, the rest of the solo strings - with Finale 2006. I have been using Rachmaninovs sweet little Vocalise as a guinea pig, and this is the result, I have reached. It is far from being perfect, but I don't really want to spend more time on it. So, here it is. Straight out of Finale 2006, featuring Robert Pièchaud on Human Playback

Sergei Rachmaninov: Vocalise Op. 34, No. 14

I hope you'll enjoy it.

Re: Rachmaninov - Vocalise Op. 34, No. 14

Nickie

Bravo! Very nice and soulful rendition of this Rachmaninov classic. This is very well done especially for entering notes in a notation program.

Robert Pièchaud. will be working on even better integration with Finale Human Playback with the Stradivari.

I will pass this on to Robert and the folks at Finale. If you would like to send the Finale or MIDI file maybe we can see what we can do.

Extraordinary work Nickie. I enjoyed this very much.

Gary Garritan

Very nice! Vocalise has been one of my favourite pieces of music for several years now, as I've really taken a great appreciation of Rachmaninoff's music.

My only major issue with it is the tempo. It seems to go far too fast for the piece, and doesn't really change tempi that much for the more expressive moments. Also, the vibrato is very stagnant. I'm not familiar with Stradivari too well, but isn't there a slider that controls its speed? I think that variance might help the rendition out greatly.

Personally, I love the piece when played on Cello or sung by a countertenor, but that only shows how great and versitile Vocalise is You could really play it on anything and still have it sound great.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Nickie

Bravo! Very expressive and soulful rendition of this Rachmaninov classic. This is very well done especially for entering notes in a notation program.

Robert Pièchaud. will be working on even better integration with Finale Human Playback with the Stradivari.

I will pass this on to Robert and the folks at Finale. If you would like to send the Finale or MIDI file maybe we can see what we can do.

Extraordinary work Nickie. I enjoyed this very much.

Gary Garritan
    Thanks a lot, Gary, for the nice words Much appreciated

I don't mind sending you the Finale and/or MIDI file, but it will not do you much good without the script, and I am afraid the script won't do you much good without some documentation, which is, at present, non-existent. Please let me know, if you want to give it a try anyway, or if you'd rather wait, until I get the time to cook up some documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
    Personally, I love the piece when played on Cello
    We are in total agreement about that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
    My only major issue with it is the tempo. It seems to go far too fast for the piece, and doesn't really change tempi that much for the more expressive moments. Also, the vibrato is very stagnant. I'm not familiar with Stradivari too well, but isn't there a slider that controls its speed? I think that variance might help the rendition out greatly.
    Tempo is always debatable, as it is very subjective.

As to the vibrato; that's the one thing I'm not too happy about myself. Not that I didn't vary speed and amplitude, I certainly did. But, unfortunately I developed the Finale file alongside the script, and the part of the script, that should be applied first in an ideal workflow, came last in the development process. When I had finished the last part of the script, I had the option to either correct, what I had already done, even more (a lot more), or (preferably) start all over from scratch Neither option appeal to me. I would rather move on towards new horizons Afterall, this is just a piece of music to test the script on, and learn how to use the Stradivari. And I don't mind learning from my mistakes.

Oooooo, the one super duper duper super infamous Vocalise that everyone knows and that Rachmaninoff keeps making several versions of it!

Well, I've known this piece for quite some time (I played the piano on this with a very young vocalist), and it sound great with the Stradivari! I agree about the tempo on this, it should be slightly slower. But overall, nice job.

Maybe you could write his whole Op.34 songs with Stradivari? Eh?

~Cata
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysm
    Maybe you could write his whole Op.34 songs with Stradivari? Eh?
    Don't stay up late and wait for it Maybe in my next life

Nickie,

Very nice arrangement. The Strad is very nice. Just for fun your should substitute a Gangliano, a darker sound. I think that would be very nice as well.

Keep up the good work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Nickie,

Very nice arrangement. The Strad is very nice. Just for fun your should substitute a Gangliano, a darker sound. I think that would be very nice as well.

Keep up the good work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    I might try that some day, if GG would be so kind as to provide us with a Gagliano Solo Violin

Well done, Nickie!

And I rather prefer slightly quicker-than-traditional tempi
    in this piece. This is right about where I would play it.
    Slower, and it becomes too saccharine, to me.

I'm looking forward to hearing more of your work in the
    scripting area, Nickie. I hope to explore this avenue
    myself at some point.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast