• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - What to charge?

Share/Bookmark

Red face OT - What to charge?

I'm not sure who to ask this of, so I posted here!

I've been approached by a very respected recording studio in Florida owned by a very old, dear friend. He is producing an album of contemporary Christian music.

He has recorded the rhythm and vocal tracks and has retained me to write the background orchestrations for strings, brass and full orchestra as necessary for 7 of the album cuts.

The task is not a problem...I do these kinds of things almost daily. The issue is what do I charge? What are orchestrations worth? (I've not done this freelance...the ones I do are for the church I work at.)

I may be providing the instrumental tracks as well (using GPO, of course). I would think that would be extra.

Any advice, comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ron Williams
    Westminster, CO
    Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our upmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets -- Zoltan Kodaly

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: OT - What to charge?

If it's really a dear old friend, I'd say your best bet might be to ask, "What's their budget?"

That way, you know if they have the money to even try to make a go of it. What you're willing to do it for is another matter of course.

If you figure a low-end 8 hours per tune for writing and tracking (if you do the turnkey gig), figuring a day rate of $600, then $4800 would be a reasonable rock-bottom estimate. In truth, you'll probably spend more time than that. If it goes to full orchestra, and you have revisions on the production side, then you are going to run into some time. It could turn into a $20,000 gig easily, so you have to really suss out the situation before committing.

You will also be in a situation of dealing with tracks you don't control, and you may find that GPO (or any given library) doesn't gel with the tracks. This can happen with any library at any price point. The point being that you'd need to be prepared for that contingency, at the very least being ready to go back into the tracks and make it work.

A lot depends upon the expertise/polish of the group, too. It might be easy money at half the price. Just depends. I would check it out very carefully. Album projects like that one have a way of expanding, and it's best to get the expectations all out in the open before you engage.

Re: OT - What to charge?

Hey Bruce

Great reply...thanks. Yes, projects can expand to fill all available cosmic space...been there, done that...as we all probably have. :-)

But you give some really valid points to consider.

Thanks
    Ron
    Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our upmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets -- Zoltan Kodaly

Go Back to forum