• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to learn music theory and how to read a score on the web?

Share/Bookmark

How to learn music theory and how to read a score on the web?

Hello

I know the website http://www.8notes.com which features great music theory lessons. I can read a score now, the problem is i can only read the notes of a score, but i can't read the rhythm of a score because this website doesnt teach it. Of course i know notes durations, rests and tie etc... but still i dont know how to read the rhythm part of a score . How can i do ? ( and if you know a website which's teaching this it would be great )

Byebyeee

Re: How to learn music theory and how to read a score on the web?

Well ... Can you understand the rhythm of 1 bar containing 4 quarter notes?

How about 1 bar containing 8 eighth notes?
    You tap your foot?

OK.

Reading and understanding complex rhythm is a matter of practice in my opinion. In my opinion it's math and division and spacial relationships.
    Other's may have a different method of understanding it.

There are rhythm studies for instruments that are meant to teach complex rhythm and syncopation.
    You might want to try some books.
    What is the main instrument that you play now?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCarter
    Hello

I know the website http://www.8notes.com which features great music theory lessons. I can read a score now, the problem is i can only read the notes of a score, but i can't read the rhythm of a score because this website doesnt teach it. Of course i know notes durations, rests and tie etc... but still i dont know how to read the rhythm part of a score . How can i do ? ( and if you know a website which's teaching this it would be great )

Byebyeee
    Just one simple answer ......
    ...... make your homework for at least 2-3 years, play your instruments reading your parts at first sight for 10 years, read charts for a whole life ....
    .... then you'll be a good reader

DON'T BELIEVE WHO TELL YOU THAT THERE ARE SOME TRICKS TO READ MUSIC!!!!!
    JUST PRACTICE, PRACTICE AND STILL PRACTICE.
    AND WHEN YOU'LL BE DEAD .... TRY TO PRACTICE AGAIN!!!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I think the best way to learn the initial rounds of theory is piano lessons. All the basic theoretical information and reading skills are learned quickest at the keyboard. Take two years of piano lessons as an adult, practice at least one solid uninterrupted hour per day, and you will be able to both read and play.

If you practice two solid hours per day, every day, and have a moderate level of natural talent, you can have a journeyman level skillset in that two years.

Needless to say, you do need a teacher who knows how to get results, but given that, an adult can progress very quickly, as the life-lessons to success are already experienced...much different than the limited ability of a child to grasp the conceptual complexities of music. An adult can go much faster.

That IS the shortcut. There is no shorter, better, more direct method. Learning to read is certainly an intellectual process, but it is speeded by a physical connection to an instrument.

What Bruce said.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

It's time for the dreaded "counting drills." These exercises require your tapping to the beats. You should be able to find drills for different time signatures online.

You might want to also download a metronome, to help you firm up your counting.

If it's just rhythm, there is an intermediate step.

At its simplest level, again, rhythm only, get a starting snare drum book where you learn the rhythms in a tempo.

For a more advanced rhythmic work, look at Rhythmic Articulations by Bona from GSchirmer.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Here's a software solution. You can use this in conjunction with lessons and the suggestions above: http://www.etudesoftware.com/

One thing that I like about this approach is that the music is, well, unmusical. The problem with a lot of begining piano books is that we already know many of the tunes. It's all too easy to take your focus off of the staves and start playing by ear. And after you've played an unfamiliar piece couple of times, you can't help but to "hear" it.

It's not the ultimate solution, but another arrow in the quiver. And like all of the other solutions, it requires practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Well ... Can you understand the rhythm of 1 bar containing 4 quarter notes?

How about 1 bar containing 8 eighth notes?
    You tap your foot?

OK.

Reading and understanding complex rhythm is a matter of practice in my opinion. In my opinion it's math and division and spacial relationships.
    Other's may have a different method of understanding it.

There are rhythm studies for instruments that are meant to teach complex rhythm and syncopation.
    You might want to try some books.
    What is the main instrument that you play now?
    I'm learning piano mainly and i also compose, i learned self-taught ( if you're interested i made a demo you can listen to here http://annecywebtv.free.fr/johncarter-demo.mp3 )

Well i understand a bar of 4 quarter notes, i understand everything about note durations. But now to read rhytmh that's another problem

Thanks everybody for your suggestions , i'm gonna try the software

But let's take an example :

1 bar of 4 quarters notes at 120 bpm = what must i do to play that ?

And most generally : 1 bar of xxx notes at xxx bpm , how can i do ? this must sounds a weird question for you but i dont know how to do . I learned how to read the notes , it's all about using the G key ( or any other key ) and finding the notes by taking the G key as a base. And for the rhytmh ? what's the idea behind ?

If by "rhythm" you mean tempo (bpm), that's what metronomes are for. If by "rhythm" you mean meter, that's what defines the song as a type i.e., waltz, mambo, etc.

Download a metronome, locate lessons on counting drills.

Go Back to forum