• Register
  • Help

Topic: Brush Snare drums

Share/Bookmark

Brush Snare drums

Tom and Gary,

I've been looking at JABB the last couple of days in light of using this with Sibelius. It occurs to me that it could be useful if the brush snares were modwheel controlled rather than velocity controlled. This is a continuous sound after all rather than a percussive sound. And with modwheel support we could add hairpins to effect the brush direction rather than aftertouch and this would fit nicely and be a bit more intuitive with notation programs.

I've got a Sibelius Soundset for JABB pretty much completed. I'll post a copy in the few days. Just a few odds and ends to clean up. It uses an undocumented feature I discovered to enable the Sibelius midi controls to external sampler players like Kontakt or Garritan Jazz. So it works much like GPO Sibelius edition but without the need for a JABB Sibelius edition.

Re: Brush Snare drums

Quote Originally Posted by dbudde
    It occurs to me that it could be useful if the brush snares were modwheel controlled rather than velocity controlled. This is a continuous sound after all rather than a percussive sound. And with modwheel support we could add hairpins to effect the brush direction rather than aftertouch and this would fit nicely and be a bit more intuitive with notation programs.
    You appear to be referring to the stirs. If that is the case there may be a misunderstanding here. Velocity doesn't control the volume of the stirs, only the initial attack strength. The level of the stir itself is controlled through either the volume control of the player or (if the Option is enabled) cc#7. Changes in level within the playing of the stir is handled with Aftertouch (the main, but not exclusive, application of which is direction changes in the stir.) Aftertouch is the most intuitive controller to use for this function, as long as the user has a keyboard with Aftertouch capability. It is so intuitive that it is actually my favorite feature in the JABB library. I was able to create the brush stir demo and tutorial by playing everything in real-time then doing minimal editing to the result. Mod wheel control would have occupied my left hand and made the playing much more difficult.

Now, as to notation applications, choice of controllers might be a nice addition. I'll put it on the list of possible options when the library moves to the Kontakt 2 player.

Tom

Yes, I understand aftertouch is the most useful function for this assuming you are using a keyboard. My comment is in reference to using a notation program such as Sibelius. Sibelius does not have a way to automate aftertouch or even specify it as a controller in the playback dictionary.

What I have done is reprogram the two snare stirs using Kontakt 2 to use the modwheel for this function. This way, one can use the hairpin (which will control the modwheel if you define the soundset correclty) in Sibelius to effect a stir direction change very easily.

So I am suggestion to allow this as a second (parallel) way to do this. The modwheel is undefined for this instrument so why not program both modwheel and aftertouch to do the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by dbudde
    Sibelius does not have a way to automate aftertouch or even specify it as a controller in the playback dictionary.
    I was unaware of that Sibelius limitation. Unfortunate.

So I am suggestion to allow this as a second (parallel) way to do this. The modwheel is undefined for this instrument so why not program both modwheel and aftertouch to do the same thing?
    Ah, now I understand. I like that idea but I'll need to test it. In the past I've found that parallel assignments like that could sometimes (but, interestingly, not always) create problems for Kontakt - even to the point of the particular feature being controlled ceasing to function until the second controller was deleted. Definitely worth a try though. If successful, this would be in the update following the changeover to the K2 player.

Tom

Go Back to forum