• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recommendation for a Stand Alone Soft Synth Sampler

Share/Bookmark

Recommendation for a Stand Alone Soft Synth Sampler

I want to run my MacBook as a stand alone soft synth sampler. I like my GarageBand/EXS library of samples and want to be able to play them on my laptop, using my MacBook as a midi instrument. (I want the option of using my laptop as a midi instrument so I need more than GarageBand)

Kontakt 2 is the only one that I've found so far that will work. At least I think it will although it is still not compatible with the Intel Mac.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    o-p.

Re: Recommendation for a Stand Alone Soft Synth Sampler

Hi. Logic Pro7 would do nicely for you.I use it as well as Kontakt2. Logic exspress will do well also if you just want to use exs sounds. For the extra money you get a lot more freedom.You can download a demo version of Logic exspress at Apples' site. Not LP7 however.You will also find that Logic outshines GB in so many ways. The engine is much more efficient in Logic than GB as well as not being limited to 16bit audio as is the case with GB.I was under the impression that K2 was ported over for the intel macs? I know NI was right on top of the intel thing very quickly so you might want to check into that a bit more. Perhaps the demo is not so you will have to go into NIs' site to read the exact spec.s for K2 in the full version. I'm pretty sure the last update I did for it was also available for intel mac machines. I have a G5 and am not interested in the new ones as of yet.Probably in a year or so. Once everything that I use is stable and ported over.JON

Hi Again. As an after thought you might want to try loading different instruments into different tracks in GB. Then I think you can arm all of them to get a layered sound. I'm not sure the exact way to arm more than one track in GB but think it can be done. That way you get to layer sounds with different FX and such. It might open a window for you that you perhaps were unaware of. At least til you find what you need.JON

OOPS. I just opened GB and couldn't trigger more than one track. Check out exspress. I can trigger as many tracks as I want in Logic.It can get massive real quick. Also check out Reason3 it has the NNXT sample player as well as the combinator which allows you to chain FX and synths as well as samplers together.R3 has been a great update for people wanting to use Reason as a standalone item for live work. Ithink both K2 and Reason3 can import and read EX sample formats. JON

Thanks Jon. Will see if Logic Express will allow me to use it's internal sampler as a midi instrument on my MacBook which will be run by the Pro Tools HD system on my G4 dual.

Hi. I don't know anything about Pro Tools.I do know that Kontakt2 ships being able to be used AU,,RTAS (PTs'),,VST,,or stand alone. I don't know if you can open Logic into PTs/ if your version is not one of the more recent updates. Let Me know what you find out. JON

Quote Originally Posted by owenpop@mac.com
    Thanks Jon. Will see if Logic Express will allow me to use it's internal sampler as a midi instrument on my MacBook which will be run by the Pro Tools HD system on my G4 dual.
    A better place to ask this would be over at the Digi forum...I used to use Protools and those guys are very helpful and could tell you every sampler under that sun that will run on that set up....They also have comparison charts to look at...The main reason I left Protools was because Cakewalk just does Vsti's within the host so much better, well MIDI anything for that matter BUT I was using the native system...May be different within HD...Not sure....Good Luck!

Sorry...Didn't read the first post the whole way through (Don't you just love when people do that? )

Go Back to forum