• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: will going from 256 for 512 ram make a difference...

Share/Bookmark

will going from 256 for 512 ram make a difference...

1stly I'd like to ask no one to laugh or say "both options suck" because while I know that's true, it's all I got for a few months, anyways.

I have 256 right now, and I'm not even doing any big orchestral stuff (I'm saving that for when I haev a real computer in a few months), but I'd like to do some smaller stuff. The only issue is, I only have 256 mb ram (my processor is a Pentium 4 1.7Ghz). I can load smaller stuff okay. And i can actually load quite a few stuff with EWQLSO Silver on DFD and some other stuff too. But qwhenever I load five or so high quality things like from Atmosphere and EWQLSO combined, it just starts getting slow and the sound crackles all the time and it's generally unusable. My question is, if I spend a few bucks getting 512 to last me these months, will it make a difference. Will it be workable with a few instruments loaded at a time? Or is the problem with the CPU? so...

Re: will going from 256 for 512 ram make a difference...

1) Have you checked eBay for RAM? If you look carefully, you might find a deal on an upgrade to more than 512MB

2) The Intel/AMD price war is going to kick into high gear in July. Lower AMD prices have already been announced. So this fall might be a good time to upgrade.

3) What kind of RAM do you need? I have an extra 128MB DDR PC2700 stick sitting here that I'll send you for the cost of shipping. I'm pretty sure it still works fine. If not...I'll refund the shipping.

It's not about the price, my motherboard can't more then 512 it seems, and also I don't want to spend all my money because I'm buying a new computer in the fall. This is just to last me for a few months.

The Intel/AMD price war is going to kick into high gear in July. Lower AMD prices have already been announced. So this fall might be a good time to upgrade.
    That's good news cause as I said I'm going to be buying a new computer. I don't see any use in this computer, I think I'll have to buy a new one to keep up.

What kind of RAM do you need? I have an extra 128MB DDR PC2700 stick sitting here that I'll send you for the cost of shipping. I'm pretty sure it still works fine. If not...I'll refund the shipping.
    Wow, thanks for the offer! (are you always this helpful to internet strangers??) I'm 16 though and it'll probably be too much of hassle to take care of shipping and all that, but thanks for the offer, really.

I assume that you've already ruled out upgrading your motherboard, CPU, RAM & power supply yourself. That's a much cheaper solution to getting a better PC; but it takes some PC repair/upgrade skills.

Well, if you decide you want the RAM, you can find my email address on my website: www.i5pmusic.com. I'll be happy to just put it in some make-shift packaging and ship it in a business envelope. That way, I can cover shipping. If it makes it to you in one piece, great. You can send me a business address, a P.O. Box, or anything. (I understand that you probably don't want to give out personal info at age 16.) I'm not pushing for info; but it's yours if you want it. Perhaps I could send it to your dad at work.

again thanks for the offer.

P.s. so does anyone have opinion on whether this ram boost wil make a difference?

The RAM boost will make a HUGE difference. 256 to 512 is more critical than 512 to 1024, which is more important than 1024 to 2048.

The guy with 1GB might occasionally run into RAM limitations. The guy with 256M is nearly guaranteed to.

I'm running 2GB. That's more than enough for most situations. However, with enough instances of GPO, I can even max out 2GB. I've not had LESS than 512MB of RAM in 2 years. The Dells we use at work have either 256MB or 512MB depending on which model. With Win XP, 512MB makes a huge difference.

Okay thanks guys. It seems like the small upgrade will be worth something at least.

I really hope that prices are low enough so that I can afford getting 2gb of ram when I buy a new computer in the fall. I initially planed just 1 or a little over that, but it seems like 2gb is the way I should go if I plan on having a good music environment.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne{
    again thanks for the offer.
    P.s. so does anyone have opinion on whether this ram boost wil make a difference?
    Let's put it this way: that crackling you hear and general slowness when maxed out is probably the machine madly swapping memory to/from disk... so yes, even going to 512 will be a big help as others have suggested.

BTW, why don't you let us know what kind of machine it is... if you can pop it open and look for a vendor name on the mobo, even better. If it's an old dell or compaq, then the mobo may not have a name visible, but even the machine vendor would be useful info.

Like Infinite5ths I have some memory in my "stuff bin" after upgrading to 2GB a while ago... how does 2 x 512MB sound? I'd be glad to ship it to you if it helps a young guy or gal make some music... ok, so I secretly wish all this stuff was around when I was your age...

The memory is 184-pin, PC2100 (PC266) DDR, so it may not work in your system (e.g., your machine may only take 168-pin PC100/PC133 SDRAM, not 184-pin DDR)... which is why I asked about the machine/mobo manufacturer. Also, you could use it in a new machine and save some $$$ on memory, even if just temporarily to save up for 2GB, which will run you about $170 these days... PC2100 would not be the fastest memory to put in a new mobo, but 1GB PC2100 is better than 512MB PC3200, IMO.

Let me know your specs and whether or not you're interested, I'll give you an email address. A parent's work address is probably the best, as suggested... Ask them, see what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite5ths
    With Win XP, 512MB makes a huge difference.
    This is a good point... it's also useful to tweak XP so that it uses as little memory as possible, if memory is a concern. I think a stock XP install will load up about 120MB of chaff on startup -- print spoolers, "help" service, yada yada. You can tweak the OS to only load the bare essentials and get that footprint down to ~50MB, which is what mine is. Just need to be careful not to shut off critical XP services. Also, doing so limits the general usefulness of the machine (e.g., for running games or MS office, etc.), so you would likely do it in conjunction with setting up a separate "audio" boot partition. If you already have gobs of memory then it's not as big a deal, but if you're scraping the bottom of the barrel memory-wise it could make big difference. Also, tweaks to reduce unneccessary UI stuff will reduce memory footprint and reduce CPU -- no wallpaper, shut off XP eye candy, etc.

Go Back to forum