• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: why is everyone using reverb plugins when you can use a external reverb

Share/Bookmark

why is everyone using reverb plugins when you can use a external reverb

Im always seeing post about reverb plugins and I have a few myself. However they eat up so much processing power. I pulled out my old rev 7 and it still sounds better than any plug in, assign a couple of mono outs to it in nuendo, send it back to two tracs, burn it to the tracs and bingo, better sound and uses no prcessing power. Maybe more people are doing this than I think but to me there are so many cheap units you can buy that sill sound great. Rev 7s go for a couple hundred, spx90s not much more. Lexicon reflex and some other great models for under $400 tc electroncs had some killer ones out for $700 and under I just cant see spending over $1000 for something that doesnt sound as good and eats processing power. there may be some things the convulution reverbs sound better for but for the most part and most things the hardware verbs blow the plugins away are cheaper and a lot of times easier to use

Re: why is everyone using reverb plugins when you can use a external reverb

I don't think these is a need to spend that much for a good convolution reverb. SIR is free (but CPU heavy). I picked up Pristine Light (a version of which is now included with Sonar) for very little. If you check out k-v-r there are a number of excellent alternatives to Waves, etc.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

I have an old Lexicon 200 ($4800.00) when I bought it new, and although it still sounds excellent, it is nothing like Altiverb 5.

The ability to place a voice or an instrument anywhere in the "given" space is simply not possible with these outboard hardware devices. Besides, if you are doing a large project, it is most likely being produced on a reasonably new Mac G5 or a Windows PC that plenty of horspower, and has no problem providing the necessary instances of Altiverb that you desire.

That's just my opinion, and hey, it is nice to load a project and have all the reverbs right there already set exactly the way you want.

I believe these are the reasons most people are using software instead of hardware. To each his own, but these are just my thoughts.

Anyone using a Yamaha SPX90 for anything that is supposed to sound pretty should at least buy a cheap Lexicon Alex on Ebay, it is a billiion times better sounding. Well, OK, a hundred times.
    wha wha wha wha wha wha wha

Dan

Jeff, you can run ten billion Altiverbs on a G5, and they sound fantastic. Your REV7 is nice, but Altiverb makes a mockery of it for space simulation.

That's why I got rid of all my outboard stuff except for two tweaky channel strips.

When you run reverb internally, everything remains digital, and you don't need any additional I/Os to/from your soundcard. No analog level matching to worry about, and no digital wordclock, formats, bit depths and latency problems.

There is even an excellent IR library available with the main presets of the TCE 6000, but as I say this, I am risking my presence on this forum

(moderators: I want to start running a new banner in august again - please don't take this reply as too commercial, I'm just trying to say that there are really excellent digital reverb plugins options as opposed to analog devices)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos
    There is even an excellent IR library available with the main presets of the TCE 6000, but as I say this, I am risking my presence on this forum

(moderators: I want to start running a new banner in august again - please don't take this reply as too commercial, I'm just trying to say that there are really excellent digital reverb plugins options as opposed to analog devices)
    Isn't it obscene that we have to worry about providing any information relating to a product that doesn't pay tribute to this forum.

Sheeesh!

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Steve Martin once said that airplane food was made by taking picture of real food, and going from there.

I haven't heard a plug in that sounds as good as my PCM 91, much less heavy hitters like the 480, 300, 4000 and 6000. Things like Altiverb are fine for simulating a real space here and there, but that is of minimum importance to me most of the time, and certainly not worth the processor time on a dense pop mix.

I am really tired of software plug ins, with their many upgrades, bugs, incompatiblilites. Like computers, they are like buying an ice cube. The computer is a must, the plugs aren't.

Whenever I can buy hardware...compressors, verbs, you name it...I do it. It will still be working on whatever Mac or PC they are selling 5 years from now. Look ma, no processor time needed, no upgrades to pay. We don't need no stinking Waves upgrade plan

So I may be the minority post here on this particular thread, but to the person who originally asked, people DO use hardware reverbs and effects all the time. They cost more so not as many people use them, and aren't as convenient (really hard to get 20 instances, but I don't need 20 reverbs on a mix)...... but they are definitely not gathering dust.

TH
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

The difference in a Lexicon "anything" versus software reverb lies in the audacity of the Lexicon sound designers. They adhere to the "sounds good is good" rule. Software reverb, like so many things in software, has reached that uncomfortable pimply adolescent stage, where everything is about being real, and not about just sounding cool.

We like things that sound cool. The sooner everyone comes to grips with the fact that ear candy is ear candy (and that what we ALL like is ear candy), the sooner the medium advances.

I feel that music technology is really stuck right now. We have been advancing so far that every evolution is a start-over point for the little realism game. Realism, shmealism. If I wanted a relationship with reality, why the hell would I have chosen to be an artist?

Altiverb isn't worth the processor time on a dense pop mix? Not even if it's running a sample of a Lexicon?

Go Back to forum