• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lesson 6 Exercises

Share/Bookmark

Lesson 6 Exercises

This thread is for Lesson 6 Exercises...

Re: Lesson 6 Exercises

Danny williams has sent in a Lesson 6 exercise.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...n6exercise.mp3

Rather than use the background score provided, Danny wrote a new track based on reading through then studying the lesson, and then listening to the examples.

Danny writes: What I take from these lessons in one sense is just a basic concept of comparitive sonorities. I think a lot of it is common sense, but I use listening to the examples as a jumping off point not only from a technical standpoint but creatively as well (a lot of these are brand new to me... they're great!). For example, I used Eb clarinet (as opposed to Bb clar. as I normally would have) to examine the blend and contrast not only with the string bed background, but partnered with the flute. I hadn't really considered using the Eb until hearing it in the example from the lesson (#46), but I wanted to try something different stylistically with it. I just "went with" the sound, and came up with a basic melody to lay over a medium low violin/viola section.

Other than that... well, to be honest -- I just I have a ton of fun writin' stuff, using all these instruments I never had before!! I've always been a "seat-of-my-pants", untrained composer, so this has been a new and gratifying experience."

Excellent work Danny and it is wonderful to see someone take so much initiative and apply what they have learned in a new way.

Thanks for sending this in and I hope this serves as inspiration for others to take leaps into creative applications of the course material.

Gary Garritan

It inspires me, Sounds like Danny could be related to John, talent aplenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    It inspires me, Sounds like Danny could be related to John, talent aplenty.
    Wow! This is an extremely kind and much-appreciated compliment! Thanks so much...

When people see me, though, they're more inclined to think I'm related to Paul!

It might be worth mentionning that some orchestras double the woodwind parts in the "tutti" passages and solo them in the solo, melodic passages.
    The Berlin Philharmonic's recordings under von Karajan come to mind, Martinon and Szolti tried the same with the Orchestre de Paris.
    I experimented with it in MIDI mockups. It seems to produce a richer, more versatile sound.

Jeannot Welter.

Yes, I have heard this too. And there is a long tradition of some conductors doubling wind (when massed) in some Beethoven symphonies, for balance. If I remember correctly even Mahler did this sometimes.

In midi simulations, I regularly add a bit of chorus to the brass (except for solos); it is quite astonishing the way it enriches a tutti in a simulation ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannot Welter
    It might be worth mentionning that some orchestras double the woodwind parts in the "tutti" passages and solo them in the solo, melodic passages.
    The Berlin Philharmonic's recordings under von Karajan come to mind, Martinon and Szolti tried the same with the Orchestre de Paris.
    I experimented with it in MIDI mockups. It seems to produce a richer, more versatile sound.

Jeannot Welter.
    Alan Belkin, composer
    Professor of Composition
    University of Montreal

http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/pers...n/e.index.html (links to examples of my music, as well as my online textbooks)

Go Back to forum