• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Linking 2 PCs - 2nd drives- How???

Share/Bookmark

Linking 2 PCs - 2nd drives- How???

Trying to link 2 Giga PCs together via ethernet to share files on the their 2nd internal drives. I can only seem to get shared access to the primary
    master drives. Even when I drag an shortcut of the 2nd drive to the shared folders folder - when I try to access it from the other machine, it turns out to be the system drive. Any ideas???

Re: Linking 2 PCs - 2nd drives- How???

Check what is shared on both systems. There is also a free software called Easy2Share that may solved some problems.

Right click on the second drive in Windows Explorer, and choose "Sharing and Security". Click the "New Share" button to set it up. Make sure you use different Share names on each system.

Start > Run

\\nameofmachine\d

hit enter ... will take you to the d: drive on the machine you named.

I've got 4 machines here and 21 or so virtual drives.

All of the share names are just drive letters.
    c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l, etc.

Using anything more will just confuse things.
    It's perfectly ok to have the same drive letter names shared on different machines as the actual path is
    \\machinename\driveletter

It's ~is~ important to make sure your machines have different names.

If you're not using a router you need to use a "crossover cable" ... not a regular ethernet cable.

Set the sharing on your drives to wide open with read and write access
    if you need to save files to the drive from the other machine. Being behind a firewalled router is safe.

If you've shared the drive and still can't get in from the other machine
    then unshare it, reboot, re share it.

If you can see the contents of the drive but can't write to it, do the same.
    Unshare, reboot, reshare. Eventually it will get the message.

XP home is a bit lame in this area, especially if you're using NTFS on your drives.

Got It! Thanks guys!!

If you're sharing sample drives, you might make sure that you don't leave explorer windows up with the remote drive in view while running samples. I don't know exactly what Windows does under the hood, but if it's pinging the drive in the background to sync the networked computers at the same time you're performing huge pedal-down chords, you might get reduced performance.

Is anyone having success streaming sample via ethernet? If so, I'll be getting a network drive.
    Craig Duke

Ethernet would be too slow. You want IDE, SATA, 1394, USB-2 or SCSI.

Actually, you can stream a LOT over Gigabit Ethernet. In the last issue of VI magazine there’s an article on multi computer setups that has ALL samples for several machines streaming from a central server.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Actually, you can stream a LOT over Gigabit Ethernet. In the last issue of VI magazine there’s an article on multi computer setups that has ALL samples for several machines streaming from a central server.
    I must have missed that article. It seems to me that latency would be a real problem - you make a request over Ethernet, then to the drive over its native interface, then stream back over Ethernet.

I'll have to take a close look at that article...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast