• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stradivari

Share/Bookmark

Stradivari

I am considering getting the Strad library, however in the system requirements it doesn't say how big the library is. Any one have any ideas? Is it a 10Gb library or what? Thanks!

Re: Stradivari

Not even close. 520 Megabytes, at least on my hard drive.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Wow, in this day and age, that is micrscopic for a library. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbagump
    Wow, in this day and age, that is micrscopic for a library.
    Which is part of the beauty of this library!

I think the reason it comes out so small is that the samples themselves are reduced to the very smallest elements. The programming is very smart in piecing all those bits together to give you a very flexible instrument without all the bloat.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

A related question...

is there any prediction on when the K2 player version of the Solo Strad library will be available?

I'm really wrestling with this whole sample library playback issue! Part of me would love to buy K2, import the handful of Giga libraries that I still use, and have everything on one computer (presently I use a separate computer for GS).

Other options include:

staying with the current setup, which is financially lovely, but it is getting a wee bit annoying having to switch between machines.

keeping two machines but upgrading to GS3 - not as nice financially, and still annoying.

I'm open to thoughts and suggestions from others. FWIW, the libraries I use in GigaStudio at the moment include the Scarbee fingered and slapped basses, the Seyer upright bass, the Prosonus Orchestral library, GOS, and a large collection of stuff I've imported from my EPS/ASR and S1000 sample libraries.

I have had mixed success with the imports, sometimes they work, and sometimes it is still easier to just use the old hardware (yup, they are both still sitting in the rack!)

The main DAW is also getting a wee bit old, it is an Athlon Tbird 2800+ with 1GB of memory.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Tales from experience???

Thanks,

Bill

But when you consider it's a solo instrument I think that's pretty big (not that it's a bad thing). The largest solo instrument I have in my library is 70meg. Still with all the Strad does, you'd think it would be more than a Gig at least
    JP Garbarini
    http://musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbagump
    Wow, in this day and age, that is micrscopic for a library. Thanks!
    Sample bloat is becoming obsolete and a thing of the past.

The Stradivari is the only library to harmonically align samples so there are endless possibilities with relatively few samples. In the past you would need to sample every dynamic gradation. You could have a large 32 layer library and still only have discrete 32 layers with phasing and doubling between layers. With hamonic alignment you 'morph' between samples, with a virtual limitless variaty of gradations, instead of throwing more and ore disjointed samples. And instead of sampling every technique and articulation under the sun, you simply play it.

In the case of virtual instrumentation, less can be more.

Gary Garritn

Wave of the future
    JP Garbarini
    http://musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JPGIII
    Wave of the future
    sound wave, to be precise

Go Back to forum