• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tech News: Breakthrough in Chip Speeds

Share/Bookmark

Tech News: Breakthrough in Chip Speeds

According to the Drudge Report:

RESEARCHERS SAY NEW CHIP BREAKS SPEED RECORD
    Mon Jun 19 2006 22:57:25 ET

Researchers at IBM and the Georgia Institute of Technology are set to announce Tuesday that they have broken the speed record for silicon-based chips with a semiconductor that operates 250 times faster than chips commonly used now.

The NEW YORK TIMES reports: The achievement is a major step in the evolution of computer semiconductor technology that could eventually lead to faster networks and more powerful electronics at lower prices, said Bernard Meyerson, vice president and chief technologist in IBM 's systems and technology group. He said developments like this one typically find their way into commercial products in 12 to 24 months.

Developing...

Re: Tech News: Breakthrough in Chip Speeds

250 times faster

Breathtaking news!

That means the Minute Waltz could be done in 24/100ths of a second.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Don't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    According to the Drudge Report:

RESEARCHERS SAY NEW CHIP BREAKS SPEED RECORD
    Mon Jun 19 2006 22:57:25 ET

Researchers at IBM and the Georgia Institute of Technology are set to announce Tuesday that they have broken the speed record for silicon-based chips with a semiconductor that operates 250 times faster than chips commonly used now.

The NEW YORK TIMES reports: The achievement is a major step in the evolution of computer semiconductor technology that could eventually lead to faster networks and more powerful electronics at lower prices, said Bernard Meyerson, vice president and chief technologist in IBM 's systems and technology group. He said developments like this one typically find their way into commercial products in 12 to 24 months.

Developing...
    I guess this ought to keep up with my typing speed!

Richard

This is great news, all our present computer equipment will soon be obsolete.

I knew I should have waited before buying my new PC.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Now all they have to do is figure out a way to implant it into the brain of my six lazy kids.
    Styxx

wow..yea..that is indeed incredible since they've been saying for a while that we've reached physical max limits. 250x is humongous..especially if it can do it without getting too hot. Can you imagine a computer running at 750 ghz? Holy mackerel!

bus speed just become the next bottleneck again..
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42

... if it can do it without getting too hot...
    Oh, that problem's already been solved. Just tack this
    handy-dandy accessory cooler onto it, and you're go
    for good.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Now we just have to wait for the next version of Microsoft products. They will figure out a way to add a whole slew of new and useless features and further the code bloat. This will allow the new 250x faster computer to run at the same speed as the current computers! I just hope that the newer faster processors can also use 250x the memory to handle the new bloated code!

Jim

Just think about how fast disinformation, rumors, chain letters, spam and malware will be able to prolierate. High speed internet clutter becoming a reality!

Richard

Go Back to forum