• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Sony Vegas 6.... or no?

Share/Bookmark

Red face OT: Sony Vegas 6.... or no?

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to ask all of you.....

I have been sponsored for a version of Sony's Vegas Software.

I use Cubase SX 3 but find it to be awfully busy!!

I have a few friends who have used "Vegas and Acid" for a number of years and have pretty consistently said they wouldn't switch to another DAW if it was given to them for free.

I have heard this sentiment a number of times from various people,...... but as always, I look to you guys help me find my true north.

I'm not much into jumping from platform to platform, but I have yet to hear anyone who'se gotten involved in Vegas who has subsequently moved away from it in favor of something else.

The users I know are almost fanatical.

I'm not sure why, but I'm sure you guys have plenty of data and opinions.

Please, please.... let me know if you are a Vegas user, or have any experience with it; and what your impression is, whether positive or negative.

As always, I appreciate your input!!!!

Pat

Re: OT: Sony Vegas 6.... or no?

If I'm doing audio on a PC I'm doing it with Vegas - I love it!! I just like the way its laid out. Of course, it doesn't do MIDI (unless they've added that) so it's not going to replace Cubase in that respect, and if you're used to Cubase you may not like the transition. But Vegas is great software. ACID is great too but I'm not much into loop based music- if I want that sort of thing I use RMX.

Thumbs up Re: OT: Sony Vegas 6.... or no?

For audio and video nothing beats Vegas!
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

I have both Vegas and Nuendo, and wouldn't want to part with either one, for their respective jobs. That said - I don't consider them to be interchangeable for my purposes. YMMV.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

AUDIO

24-bit/192 kHz audio support
    Extensive audio effects
    VST plug-in effect support
    5.1 surround mixing
    On-the-fly punch-in recording
    Auto-input record monitoring
    Audio time stretching
    Tape-style audio scrubbing
    ACID loop properties support
    Keyboard event pitch shifting
    ASIO driver support
    Broadcast wave format support
    Film-style 5.1 surround panning
    Downmix monitoring
    Bus-to-bus routing
    Master, auxiliary, and effects bus tracks

VIDEO

Let's not even try to compare Vegas to any other Video software. Vegas rocks!
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    I have both Vegas and Nuendo, and wouldn't want to part with either one, for their respective jobs. That said - I don't consider them to be interchangeable for my purposes. YMMV.
    That's me too- I do MIDI in Sonar and audio/video in Vegas. Even though Sonar is a great audio platform I like Vegas more; it's a better workflow. FI, I love the envelope drawing tools. Vegas is even more powerful with video, though I don't need those capabilities as much.

I use Vegas and Sonar and lean towards Sonar even for all-audio projects. Mostly because I get better audio performance, higher track counts, better plugin/vi support for stuff like DXIs, somewhat better automation support for effects and eq parameters, and better sounding high res mixes. And you haven't lived till you pop a small lcd onto your keyboard stand and drop midi tracks into a video then fine-tune your hits with frame-level accuracy. But Vegas has its points. Particularly the ability to mix sample rates and leave audio clips in their native formats... it may be the only game in town for that sort of thing. Too bad it doesn't sequence. But I'll always bounce to it sooner or later for a video project. I recommend getting the pack that comes with DVD Architect if you're going to do any video work.

Howard

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I think by the time ACID 7 rolls around, we will be very close to having the audio workflow of Vegas with a good MIDI engine. They didn't have time to really do the job on tempo mapping they wanted (and needed) to do for ACID 6.

But I will certainly cast another vote for the elegant power of Vegas. You don't really get a feel for it until you've been using Vegas for a while, then try to do some of the same things in other programs. Then suddenly you realize how much time Vegas has been saving you. It's one of the best designed applications I've ever seen.

Talking Re: OT: Sony Vegas 6.... or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    I think by the time ACID 7 rolls around, we will be very close to having the audio workflow of Vegas with a good MIDI engine. They didn't have time to really do the job on tempo mapping they wanted (and needed) to do for ACID 6.

But I will certainly cast another vote for the elegant power of Vegas. You don't really get a feel for it until you've been using Vegas for a while, then try to do some of the same things in other programs. Then suddenly you realize how much time Vegas has been saving you. It's one of the best designed applications I've ever seen.
    Hm... that being said,.... it seems like Vegas and ACID are on a collision course with each other( In a good way.)

It seems to me that the two Interfaces and GUI's as well as their worlflow are becoming more identical as each edition rolls forward (which is a great thing), and that eventually, it seems that Sony would have to be foolish not to marry the two of them into what would appear to be market's most powerful audio/video/midi package ..... no?

I've heard a few rumblings about this possibility, is there any truth or feasibility to this pototential marriage?

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    For audio and video nothing beats Vegas!
    Vegas + Photoshop ... what a team !!!

Go Back to forum