• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Two Commercial songs with EZDummer!

Share/Bookmark

Two commercial songs with EZ Drummer!

Since EZ has been the subject of a couple threads in the Virtual Instrument section I thought I'd post a couple works in progress showcasing how it sits in a commercial mix.

The first is a bluesy song. EZ has a touch of stereo compression and reverb on the snare added and that's all. Please pardon the lack of vocals and my scratch guitar track- I expect a real guitarist to replace it!

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/fred...ard%20Life.mp3

The second is a HUGE (for me, anyway!) praise-and-worship number Again EZ is almost unaltered in the mix apart from some compression. This is entirely programmed BTW apart from the electric guitar. Libs used include Scarbee J-Bass, RealGuitar, Garritan GOS and GigaHarp, DFHS Percussionist, SAM Horns, Westgate Winds... again, no vocals and a rough mix!

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/fred...%20Believe.mp3

Re: Two Commercial songs with EZDummer!

Fred,

I'm really enjoying these; thanks! From your vantage point, is there any downside to EZDrummer? Anything at all that I should be aware of? The price is so inexpensive that I'm a bit suspicious of how EZD stacks up to the other "big boys".

BTW, you might want to check your spelling on the thread title....

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    BTW, you might want to check your spelling on the thread title....
    D'OH!! It can't be changed *lol* Maybe a mod will fix it. The funny thing is, spellchecker didn't even flag that!!

Anyway, the only downside to EZ for me is a comparative lack of flexibility as compared to Superior. It does have alternate drums and cymbals, but not nearly as many as DFHS/C&V and of course, not nearly the control over mixing from the ground up. You DO have mixing capability- pretty substantial actually. All drum levels and the stereo ambiance tracks are adjustable. But you can't start from the ground up with an unprocessed sound like you do with Superior. The good side to that is that it's faster to use and sits great in most mixes as it stands, which is why i use it for this kind of stuff now instead of DFHS, and I use DFHS when I want a different specific kind of sound or a great big kit with 10 cymbals.

Your gospel tune is strinkingly beautiful, if not sounding a LOT like the Phil Collins tune ("Take me Home") from the Genesis album. However, simply wonderful.

Makes me want to play my real guitar2 vsti right now!

It also makes me want to buy ez drummer right now as well!

Thanks for sharing this.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by karmacomposer
    Your gospel tune is strinkingly beautiful, if not sounding a LOT like the Phil Collins tune ("Take me Home") from the Genesis album. However, simply wonderful.

Makes me want to play my real guitar2 vsti right now!

It also makes me want to buy ez drummer right now as well!

Thanks for sharing this.

Mike
    Thanks!! That one's a cover BTW, but I won't say what (it's not Phil, though!!) The other song is an original. Not by me, by the vocalist who's doing the project.

Small world....the second tune originates from the excellent worship team I play with here in LA on the weekends. Tommy Walker is our leader and the composer of the tune. Here's the website of the church:

http://www.caeaglerock.com/

Nice traditional pop ballad mix via sequencing, but I think our original live version we do with the band is a bit more fun though. Our band is pretty amazing. ;-)

Always a trip to see how our songs are interpreted by other folks around the country and the world...Very cool! :-)

spectrum

PS. Yeah, sometimes I do use more of a Tony Banks approach when playing that song....I think the chord progression just lends itself to that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Small world....the second tune originates from the excellent worship team I play with here in LA on the weekends. Tommy Walker is our leader and the composer of the tune. Here's the website of the church:
    Wow!! It is, sure enough!! I knew the generally cited performer was Crystal Lewis but I didn't know the writer. I was trying to not get in trouble for posting a cover; I didn't really think about it until after putting it up. Busted *lol* I do this song myself a lot in a service I play Sunday mornings. Very cool, Eric!
    (BTW, that must explain the prominence of the D-50 pads in the version I've heard- I tried to approximate them in this version )

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Wow!! It is, sure enough!! I knew the generally cited performer was Crystal Lewis but I didn't know the writer. I was trying to not get in trouble for posting a cover; I didn't really think about it until after putting it up. Busted *lol* I do this song myself a lot in a service I play Sunday mornings. Very cool, Eric!
    (BTW, that must explain the prominence of the D-50 pads in the version I've heard- I tried to approximate them in this version )
    Awesome! But that's not me on the Crystal Lewis version - it's also a cover and much more "straight-ahead" than the way we play it live -- a LOT harder that is! (I prefer the roaring hammond and parallel lead synths on that tune) ;-)

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Awesome! But that's not me on the Crystal Lewis version - it's also a cover and much more "straight-ahead" than the way we play it live -- a LOT harder that is! (I prefer the roaring hammond and parallel lead synths on that tune) ;-)

spectrum
    I'd love to hear that- it sounds more in tune with my personal leanings The guy doing this project is pretty traditional. Most of the rest of his stuff is more Southern Gospel/Gaither-y sounding, besides that other song I posted which I really like.

Go Back to forum