• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bach - I Call to You Out of Deep Distress

Share/Bookmark

Bach - I Call to You Out of Deep Distress

J.S. Bach composed the choral prelude for organ, "Aus tiefer Not schrei ich zu dir" as a work contained in the "Third Part of the Clavier-Ubung" published in 1739. In contrast to his many large scale works, this section of the book relates to the individual chapters of Luther's catechisms. The work itself is divided into two parts. The first part gives has a feeling of despair, a longing for and calling out to God for help with what cannot be resolved by self. And the mid-section it changes mood to what I would describe as a feeling of the prayers being answered and the listener leaves confident that their needs will be met.

I have set it for brass in two different forms;

1. Mixed Brass Choir (2T, 1H, 3T, 1E)

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Aus%...ss%20Choir.mp3

2. Low Brass Choir (3E, 3T)

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Aus%...ow%20Brass.mp3

GPO instrutments: French Horns for the Euphoniums, Tubas for Basses

The low brass choir arrangement was performed by Eastman Tuba Mirum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Bach - I Call to You Out of Deep Distress

Well, since no one commented on these, I guese I will.

I listen to both version, both were very good. I particularly like the Mixed Brass Choir one better though. It was harder to hear the clarity in the lower brass than in the mixed. Nonetheless, both are very good transcriptions! You should have your transcriptions performed or something, they're very interesting!

~Cata
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysm
    Well, since no one commented on these, I guese I will.

I listen to both version, both were very good. I particularly like the Mixed Brass Choir one better though. It was harder to hear the clarity in the lower brass than in the mixed. Nonetheless, both are very good transcriptions! You should have your transcriptions performed or something, they're very interesting!

~Cata
    Hi Cata,

Thanks so much for you comments on this music, good that you were the first in line!! I agree that the brass choir is the clearer of the two. The low brass was written specifically for the Eastman Tuba Mirum group here. They are a great group and did an excellent job performing it.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Fine job on these, per usual, Gary!

I'd agree with Cata on the basis of the .mp3 that the low brass version lacks clarity -- however, I'm certain that this would "speak" far more clearly in a real hall with real players. Perhaps in the rendering, more attention to articulations and phrasing might bring greater clarity to the parts.

I must add that I, too, have difficulty getting good, crisp attacks and so on in the low brass at times, particularly in lower dynamic ranges; though the real instruments are most capable of it.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Fine job on these, per usual, Gary!

I'd agree with Cata on the basis of the .mp3 that the low brass version lacks clarity -- however, I'm certain that this would "speak" far more clearly in a real hall with real players. Perhaps in the rendering, more attention to articulations and phrasing might bring greater clarity to the parts.

I must add that I, too, have difficulty getting good, crisp attacks and so on in the low brass at times, particularly in lower dynamic ranges; though the real instruments are most capable of it.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David,

You are both correct in comparing the two different versions. As I mentioned the low brass one was written specifically for a group at Eastman School.

The live brass performance of this is better for several reasons. First the instruments speak very well themselves, not that the GPO ones don't, but the presence in just better live it seems. Secondly, the musicians are constantly listening to each other and adjusting and compensating to the music, tuning relationships and the hall. I did attempt to tweek the Ambience settings and that helped a little.

Thanks again for your comments as they are always welcomed.

Gary Bricault

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum