• Register
  • Help

Topic: Yet another stylus idea: MIDI loops

Share/Bookmark

Yet another stylus idea: MIDI loops

So I thought it'd be fun to create some bass loops to play with in RMX. I kinda knew it'd run notes together at higher tempos, but I tried it anyway. And, indeed, the result wasn't satisfactory. No complaint; I'm using it in a way it wasn't intended. But it'd still be cool to use it for this (and guitar riffs).

Here's what I did, and what goes wrong...

I created some loops using DP, Kontakt and Scarbee J-Fingered & J-Slap, getting the timing, velocities and whatnot just as I wanted. They played well at a variety of tempos. So, I froze the tracks at a low tempo (60 bpm) and brought the sound files into Recycle.

Recycle sliced these effortlessly, and I created REX files. Those I ran through the SAGE converter to create RMX files. RMX plays them fine, at the recorded tempo.

It plays them fine at faster tempos, too, but the notes run together. They sound mechanical and "bouncy" without proper note spacing. Unlike playing the MIDI files at various tempos, which sounded fine in DP, playing the audio at various tempos was not very convincing, even with RMX's wiz-bang slice playing wizardry.

This is predictable. Both the original envelope parameters and the note on/off points are lost in the translation from MIDI to audio. Wouldn't it be cool if that weren't the case?

What I'd like is to have loop files contain essentially the MIDI information (note velocities and on/off timing), envelope parameters (I'm fine with having to set this up in RMX) and the samples. RMX would essentially play loops as a sampler/sequencer rather than (in addition to, actually) an audio player. MIDI loops would be organized and browsed just like the audio loops.

Is it done, yet?

Amy

Re: Yet another stylus idea: MIDI loops

yup this is exactly what I'd like to see azwell
    -david abraham
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by amyhughes
    It plays them fine at faster tempos, too, but the notes run together. They sound mechanical and "bouncy" without proper note spacing. Unlike playing the MIDI files at various tempos, which sounded fine in DP, playing the audio at various tempos was not very convincing, even with RMX's wiz-bang slice playing wizardry.
    Amy, question: if you use Slice mode and d'n'd the part into your sequencer couldn't you fix that by adjusting note lengths? On the native RMX loops note length does control the length of the slice, they are not strict one-shots. Just curious cause I was planning to do something similar...

Thanx,
    matto

Sure....just adjust the MIDI Gate times or the release time of the Amp Envelope in RMX.

Logic has a very cool auto-length adjustment feature for MiDI which I use all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Sure....just adjust the MIDI Gate times or the release time of the Amp Envelope in RMX.

Logic has a very cool auto-length adjustment feature for MiDI which I use all the time.
    Do you by chance know the name of this feature in Logic?

Gate time in Sequence parameters set to "Legato" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by matto
    Amy, question: if you use Slice mode and d'n'd the part into your sequencer couldn't you fix that by adjusting note lengths? On the native RMX loops note length does control the length of the slice, they are not strict one-shots.
    I could, but I already did that when I created the loops. And some of the original performance was lost, so I'll never re-create it.

just adjust the MIDI Gate times or the release time of the Amp Envelope in RMX.
    That'd apply the same change to all notes, unless I created different edit groups (I think I can do that for amp envelope, no?). Again, that's a lot of work to re-create what I started with. The value of the original performance data is that I made the effort to make the loops non-mechanical. Not just random variations, but with an intentional feel.

Thanks,
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by amyhughes
    That'd apply the same change to all notes, unless I created different edit groups (I think I can do that for amp envelope, no?). Again, that's a lot of work to re-create what I started with. The value of the original performance data is that I made the effort to make the loops non-mechanical. Not just random variations, but with an intentional feel.

Thanks,
    Amy
    Just adjust the MIDI Gate times in your sequencer...you can do it globally pretty easy in most sequencers.

But you should keep in mind that all these techniques apply only to "percussive" source...and particularly drums/percussion. The more tonal and non-percussive the material gets, the current SAGE system is not designed to handle...so the results will be a mixed bag.

The more tonal and non-percussive the material gets, the current SAGE system is not designed to handle...so the results will be a mixed bag.
    As I said to start the thread, I realize I'm using it in a way it wasn't intended to be used, so I have no complaints. I love the program.

Amy

Go Back to forum