• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio LE compatibility

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio LE compatibility

Just bought a new Tascam FW-1082 which comes with Gigastudio LE. Installed everything and Sonar crashed twice and took some important, unrelated data with it when it did (as in business phone numbers, names, etc....). I can get Giga to work by itself, but when installed, Sonar won't work.

Called Tascam. They said I shouldn't be installing Gigastudio on a computer that has other things on it like IE, Word, connected to the internetetc.--only on a music-only machine. "You should research software before you install it," said the very snotty "operational assistance" guy. I never saw any such direction in the literature, and still don't, and I think assuming it was safe to install on my machine was a rather reasonable one. Am I wrong here?

I can live without Gigastudio, I suppose, but it's the principle of the thing here. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know a way around this problem since apparently Tascam does not?

Re: Gigastudio LE compatibility

So that data wasn't important enough to have backed up?

I have had Gigastudio, Sonar, IE all installed on a machine connected to the net with no problems. Other stuff too, like Cubase, MIDI Ox, etc. Didn't do (or not do) anything special.

- G

The data was supposed to backup automatically. It was from 3m's Post-it Note software. Something I've used for over 10 years and have never lost any of it. I think when I tried to get the notes back, I overwrote the backup file. In any case, none of this would have happened without Giga screwing with my system.

I'm glad for you that it works for you. But it doesn't for me, and as I said, Tascam says it shouldn't work on a mulitpurpose machine. I would have hoped by now that they would have learned what causes this and addressed.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lifespan
    The data was supposed to backup automatically. It was from 3m's Post-it Note software. Something I've used for over 10 years and have never lost any of it. I think when I tried to get the notes back, I overwrote the backup file. In any case, none of this would have happened without Giga screwing with my system.

I'm glad for you that it works for you. But it doesn't for me, and as I said, Tascam says it shouldn't work on a mulitpurpose machine. I would have hoped by now that they would have learned what causes this and addressed.
    This combination should work.

First, you need to make sure that SONAR and GigaStudio (when not in Rewire mode) are not trying to share the same output channels.

Please post the sequence of events that you are taking when you are getting the crashes, e.g., what order are you starting the programs, etc. We should be able to help out.

Finally, I don't doubt that you felt someone was being snarky with you about researching the software. That is unfortunate. The other side of the coin is that these things are fairly common knowledge, so many people take it for granted that musicians will know the risk of producing on multipurpose machines. While it is not impossible, it can be compromising.

At any rate, I think if you can give us a very cut-and-dried set of steps that you are following that results in a crash situation, that someone with a similar situation will probably be able to tell you how to work around it.

I agree with Bruce.
    I have installed 2 WindowsXP on my machine. One for all the office needs (IE, Office, Frontpage, Outlook and so on), and the other only with GS3, Kontakt, Vienna Instrument, Sonar, Albino and so on.
    On this partition I have only install Opera as connection to the internet.
    And all works fine since years...

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

Bruce,
    Thanks for your input. I'll post the order of what I am doing when I get around to doing it again. Right now, things are fine without Giga and so I have to get up the gumption to try it again because it will most likely mean uninstalling/reinstalling things.

Your words about research are generally true. But I DID read the material from Giga about installation and various issues. There was nothing that addressed the problem I am having (how much research should one be be required to do?). Furthermore, again, Tascam said to me that you cannot run Giga on a multipurpose machine. Seems clear to me that there are problems with doing so if the manufacturer is telling people it cannot be done. On the other hand, obviously, it is possible since others are doing it successfully. I think my frustration over this is quite justified.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jovan
    I agree with Bruce.
    I have installed 2 WindowsXP on my machine. One for all the office needs (IE, Office, Frontpage, Outlook and so on), and the other only with GS3, Kontakt, Vienna Instrument, Sonar, Albino and so on.
    On this partition I have only install Opera as connection to the internet.
    And all works fine since years...

:-) Jovan
    I once had partitions on a machine but haven't done so on this one. Perhaps that it what I need to do. But now, I'll have to relearn how to do that!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hi Lifespan,

I understand your frustration. However, you need to disregard what Tascam tech support told you in this instance. It was incorrect, and I have sent them a note pointing them to this issue so that their support personnel can have the issue clarified for them (I know a few people here and there...).

You CAN run these things together. So, when you have the opportunity to give it another try, just come back here and give us the details, and we'll help you through it. I suspect it was a minor issue. The 1082 has very flexible drivers and can easily accommodate the needs of SONAR and Giga LE simultaneously...it will just take some setting up, and maybe a little help from your friends here to get it configured.

Best regards,
    Bruce

Wow, a man with connections. Will you be my new best friend?

I'll repost when I get the gumption to try again. Thanks.

Go Back to forum