• Register
  • Help

Topic: low output level from US122, varies by sample package

Share/Bookmark

Question low output level from US122, varies by sample package

I notice the US122 output level (sound level after amplification) seems quite low vs other sources, such as the line out from my keyboard. As a result, I have to turn the amplification up and I hear more noise than I'd like. I have reduced the "attenuation" and maxed the volume sliders/knobs but is still a problem.

I also notice that one sample package (biggagiga minomoog) has significantly lower volume than another (PE Organ 2).

Does anyone know why this should be?

Is this normal, or does it indicate some problem with the sound card?

Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks,
    Tom

Re: low output level from US122, varies by sample package

I have the exact same problem too...... I am going to get a new internal sound card instead.

One of my other problems is that when I try to record MIDI, and the capture the sound of the MIDI from my keyboard, I also get static, and same thing happens in GigaStudio too.

I'm not an "Expert", but I'd suggest getting another soundcard.

I don't notice any difference in line-out levels from my us-122 compared to other sound cards I have. Like a Tascam fw1884, m-audio tdif, or an aark xl6. Driving powered monitors like jbl 6208s or in live performance with jbl g2-15s or a Bose PAS. There are variances from library to library, however, depending on how they are sampled. But those variances don't change with the card.

Are you perhaps running the us-122 from a laptop? If so, a sound interface with its own power cord may help. Another possibility is to use a usb hub with its own power cord. Some laptops have poor isolarion between their charging circuits and the power line they supply to bus-powered usb and fw devices. Easy enough to find out if this is the problem. See if there's a big drop in hum when you unplug laptop ac and run totally on batteries.

Howard

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by howardv
    I don't notice any difference in line-out levels from my us-122 compared to other sound cards I have. Like a Tascam fw1884,
    Hi Howard,

How are you liking the FW1884? Does it work well for you?

Best regards,
    Bruce

Hey, Bruce. The FW1884 works very well for me. Particularly with Gigastudio, Sonar, Sound Forge, and Vegas which I use alot. Only glitch I see is trying to capture from gs3 at 88.2k or 96k. Which I assume is an audio driver issue since folks with other interfaces say they don't experience that. Other than that, it's solid as a rock.

The RME FF800 would be an alternative. Has nice internal driver-based patchbay. But the FW1884 is also a nice control surface. Wish I had both.

Howard

Go Back to forum