• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ska is back

Share/Bookmark

Ska is back

I'm still laughing, having watched a new russian ska band pump out their stuff on tv (The name of the band translates as Brat).
    Excellent sound, and a line up that includes Drums, Guitar, Bass, Baritone Sax, Accordion, Percussion, and a cool dude playing a Wagner tuba.
    Live music at it's most entertaining!
    The fact they play in a 'russian style' only enhances the sound.
    I miss doing live gigs......

Re: Ska is back

Ska never went away!!

Sounds like a great band, do they dress like a Ska band?

I also long to play live again sometimes (other than piano accomp. which still happens occasionally) - I find thinking about carrying amplifiers and the like puts everything into perspective nice and quick

hope you're well!

Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by BarrieB
    Ska never went away!!

Sounds like a great band, do they dress like a Ska band?

I also long to play live again sometimes (other than piano accomp. which still happens occasionally) - I find thinking about carrying amplifiers and the like puts everything into perspective nice and quick

hope you're well!

Barrie
    Yes, they dress up, Barrie, and have a great time by the looks of it.
    I don't think i'll ever play live again (big accident, nerve damage), but i do have fond memories of some great gigs in many interesting places, so they keep me amused and positive.
    And i used to own the PA, play keyboards piano and sax, as well as sing, so you can imagine i had more kit than most!
    (The kombi van. Volkswagens gift to muso's........ )

Regards,

Alex.

I am still waiting on the return of skiffle.

Where are all the good skiffle sample libraries?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59
    And i used to own the PA, play keyboards piano and sax, as well as sing, so you can imagine i had more kit than most!
    (The kombi van. Volkswagens gift to muso's........ )

Regards,

Alex.

Alex,

I played drums live for about 7 years. back in the early 80's. I had spent the summer working and going to concerts like Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Kiss, etc. All had massive drum sets. I ended up buying two silver satin drum kits and combining them togther for a total of (ready) 21 drums. Not 21 drums including cymbals etc but 2 kicks, a snare, 3 roto toms and the rest were 6" to 18" toms. (15 in all) The bass player once said "your kit looks like an airport?!) We used to play these cruddy little clubs where my drum set took up the whole stage. Took forever to set up, couldn't afford the mics (or new heads half the time) and had one stolen during a tear down and didn't notice for quite some time. Ah the good old days. Ladies night in Kelowna B.C.!

Cheers,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    Alex,

I played drums live for about 7 years. back in the early 80's. I had spent the summer working and going to concerts like Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Kiss, etc. All had massive drum sets. I ended up buying two silver satin drum kits and combining them togther for a total of (ready) 21 drums. Not 21 drums including cymbals etc but 2 kicks, a snare, 3 roto toms and the rest were 6" to 18" toms. (15 in all) The bass player once said "your kit looks like an airport?!) We used to play these cruddy little clubs where my drum set took up the whole stage. Took forever to set up, couldn't afford the mics (or new heads half the time) and had one stolen during a tear down and didn't notice for quite some time. Ah the good old days. Ladies night in Kelowna B.C.!

Cheers,

Darren

Darren, I worked with some drummers like that. More drums than a Zulu wedding. And some could play!

Ladies night, now there's a fond memory.

Fairy Meadow Leagues Club (South of Sydney) and 5 big muscular types getting their kit off, while we played funk and groove. 400 screaming women, no holds barred (literally) and they were drinking for a good two hours before we turned up. I'd never seen women behave like that before in my life, and since then. We had security helping us to pack up. and i got more offers from 'babes' for instant gratification in one night then i'd had in my life till then. (I was 19 and fit at the time.)

We played James Brown's 'I feel good', and as i was singing, i got up on one of the long tables, and started belting it out. I got 20 feet, and lost both shoes, my shirt, and my trouser were around my ankles before security bailed in and got me out of there.

Changed my view of women for life!

Regards,

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaspo
    I am still waiting on the return of skiffle.

Where are all the good skiffle sample libraries?
    I'm pretty mean on my mums washboard. Email me some files and I'll see what I can do.

Go Back to forum