• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ensemble Building

Share/Bookmark

Ensemble Building

I have tried the Ensemble Building lesson however 4 GOP Kontakt Players are to much for my computer Pentium 4 (P68, Willamette) 1800 Mhz RAM 64 MB my cubase VST Performance indicator jumps to the red light. It just does not work.

Is there a way to make it work ?

Gustave

Re: Ensemble Building

Quote Originally Posted by Crazykeys
    I have tried the Ensemble Building lesson however 4 GOP Kontakt Players are to much for my computer Pentium 4 (P68, Willamette) 1800 Mhz RAM 64 MB my cubase VST Performance indicator jumps to the red light. It just does not work.

Is there a way to make it work ?

Gustave

Seriously, only 64Mb of RAM? The bad news is: If 64Mb is not a misprint then you aren't even close to the published minimum hardware requirements for using the product. The published minimum spec is 256Mb of RAM, but that is just enough to get the product barely running, not load an appreciable number of instruments. The published recommended spec is 1Gb of RAM. However, 1.5 to 2Gb of RAM is better still for large loads of instruments.

Be sure you are using the latest update for GPO. If you have an older version containing both dry and wet instruments, use only the dry. The wet folder was for audition purposes only and the latest version of GPO eliminates the wet instruments entirely. The wet use way more processor power than the dry.

The best answer to your question, "Is there a way to make it work?" would have to be: Go buy an inexpensive 3Ghz or better machine with at least 1Gb of RAM. Keep in mind that the library was designed using two PCs: A 2.4Ghz machine with 1GB of RAM and a 3Ghz machine with 2Gb of RAM.

Tom

Hello Tom

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry for the misprint 64 MB is the graphic card RAM.

The RAM memory is 1 GB. However my machine is only 1.5 Ghz.

I tried with the dry instruments without much success. I guess a 3Ghz machine with 2Gb of RAM would be the answer. Any suggestion about the soundcard ?

What would be today's ideal cost performance setup ?

I checked my version of GPO it is the older with both both dry and wet instruments with Kontakt Player 1.1.8.3. Should I upgrade to a latest update for Windows GPO and if so, how should I proceed.

Regards

Gustave

Quote Originally Posted by Crazykeys
    The RAM memory is 1 GB. However my machine is only 1.5 Ghz.
    That is pretty slow for the library.

Any suggestion about the soundcard ?
    Most pro soundcards are compatible. More difficulties are encountered with consumer cards. I use an M-Audio Firewire 410 but there are many other choices as well.

What would be today's ideal cost performance setup?
    That's a difficult question to answer because libraries that use the Kontakt engine usually need all the computer power you can afford. The type of music you intend to write also has an effect on the answer. If you intend to write mostly chamber music then you won't need as much power as you would if you were going to write primarily large symphonic works. If you are willing to use the "freeze" function available in many sequencers you won't need as much power either. As long as the machine is at least 2.8 or 3Ghz then I'd recommend more RAM instead of a faster CPU. 2Gb would be nice. The present player cannot take advantage of dual processors or hyperthreading. This will probably change with the K2 player when it is introduced.

I checked my version of GPO it is the older with both both dry and wet instruments with Kontakt Player 1.1.8.3. Should I upgrade to a latest update for Windows GPO and if so, how should I proceed.
    You have the latest player but you probably haven't chosen to delete the wet and dry folders. Read the documentation for the update here for more info: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=36712

Tom

Smile Re: Ensemble Building

Helllo Tom

Many Thanks

Gustave

Go Back to forum