• Register
  • Help

Topic: MacBook is GREAT!

Share/Bookmark

MacBook is GREAT!

I just got a MacBook (not even the Pro) and find it to be blindingly fast compared to my G4 MacMini from last year. I've loaded Logic Express 7.1 into it and it works great. I haven't even added extra RAM to the base 512mb and it still works beautifully. Now if Notion can get their update out for the new Intell chips, I'll be set!

Re: MacBook is GREAT!

I'm considering the MacBooks for my new laptop, but I'm a little reluctant because of the screen size (13", right?). The Pro line with the bigger screens is out of my price range.

Does the screen size bother you at all? Is it a pretty sharp, high-res screen overall? Also, if you had to guess, would it be easy to take apart a MacBook to upgrade the RAM or other components? I know that's the first thing I'd do after I bought one, especially for music apps..

Thanks!

UPdating the Macbook is easy. There are a couple little screws in the inside of the compartment that holds the battery. simply remove the battery, unscrew the cover and insert the new RAM chips into the board. Not hard. The Mac Mini was terrible to upgrade. Far more difficult.

I don't find the smaller display to be a problem. I have added a USB mouse and the Mac does respond to right-click button as well. The display is very sharp- way better than my Dell Inspiron 6000 (which I'm selling once the Notion Intel upgrade is out).

The wireless card is so much superior to the Dell as well.

Apparantly the screen is a bit reflective compared to some, but the benchmark tests show the Macbook competing closely with Macbook pro, and with a dual 2gig G5 (see Macworld this month). If the screen bugs you hook up a larger monitor (mirroring only). They seem a bargain to me!

Quote Originally Posted by hywyn
    Apparantly the screen is a bit reflective compared to some, but the benchmark tests show the Macbook competing closely with Macbook pro, and with a dual 2gig G5 (see Macworld this month). If the screen bugs you hook up a larger monitor (mirroring only). They seem a bargain to me!
    Actually, unlike previous Apple "consumer-level" portables, the MacBook is *not* limited to mirroring. It will support spanning to a second monitor up to the size of Apple's 23" monitor.

I was skeptical about the glossy screen until I tried it. The image quality is really great: excellent colors and very bright. Reflections have not been a problem for me.

13" is a great size from a portability standpoint. It might be a little tight for audio work, but honestly, I don't think going up to the 15" is going to help much in that regard. Get a large external monitor for when you're desk-bound; keep the portable as small as possible for when you're on the go.

RAM and hard drives upgrades are insanely simple. One need not even really open the machine. Removing the battery and a small metal shield provides access to the two RAM slots and hard drive bay. I had to push the RAM modules in REALLY hard to fully seat them, but otherwise a piece of cake.

I'm really digging this little machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulumos
    Actually, unlike previous Apple "consumer-level" portables, the MacBook is *not* limited to mirroring. It will support spanning to a second monitor up to the size of Apple's 23" monitor.

I was skeptical about the glossy screen until I tried it. The image quality is really great: excellent colors and very bright. Reflections have not been a problem for me.

13" is a great size from a portability standpoint. It might be a little tight for audio work, but honestly, I don't think going up to the 15" is going to help much in that regard. Get a large external monitor for when you're desk-bound; keep the portable as small as possible for when you're on the go.

RAM and hard drives upgrades are insanely simple. One need not even really open the machine. Removing the battery and a small metal shield provides access to the two RAM slots and hard drive bay. I had to push the RAM modules in REALLY hard to fully seat them, but otherwise a piece of cake.

I'm really digging this little machine.
    Well,... it sounds tempting. I've been holding out for the new range of Powermacs but even then, I may need to wait for the second generation for Apple to iron out the gremlins.

How does the Macbook behave with a heavy processor load, - does the fan kick in often? My ibook is near silent until I go over the limit (usually when overdubbing something really quiet) but it never was meant to be a workhorse.
    You say the hard drive is easy to replace?!! If so that is a major step forward IMO. I tried once with my ibook and it was a big mare.

Thanks for the recommendations, you guys. I'm inches away from deciding on the MacBook. I think it'd be a great addition to my new desktop DAW, which is PC-based (especially now that the Intel Macs can in theory run Windows- brilliant!).

Would your recommend the glossy screen over the matte?

-

Go Back to forum