• Register
  • Help

Topic: EQ suggestions for SID Hi-Hats (or any hi-hats)

Share/Bookmark

EQ suggestions for SID Hi-Hats (or any hi-hats)

I just received the SID Library and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for equalization of hi-hats. Perhaps some general purpose eq suggestions, or settings that some of you typically use when working with hi-hats in general.

Re: EQ suggestions for SID Hi-Hats (or any hi-hats)

Hi Nathan,
    I always roll off (eliminate) frequencies below about 350hz. This will definately be dependant on the sound of the particular hi-hat.

If it is a good sounding hat, and it was mic'd with a good quality condensor mic that has excellent high frequency response, then boosting any EQ should not be necessary for great sound. I am not familiar with SID, so take this as general advice.

dpDan

I think the main thing about mixing hi-hats is the level. In some songs hi-hats are the prominent "clock", and in other songs they're very much in the background. The EQ depends on where in that range you want to be.

If you want them in the background, roll off the highs. If you want them in the foreground, you might boost the highs, or give them some bite at a specific frequency. Punch a hole in them where you want other sounds to pop through. Don't for get about compression/gates/expansion. You can flatten the sound, or emphsize the attack.

Just last night I was listening to a Best of Donovan CD, and was really amazed at how every one of his hits was mixed for a completely different sound - especially the drums. In one case the snares would be off, they used bongos rather than toms and the hi-hat was barely audible. In another case (Mellow Yellow) the song starts with a solo hi-hat, neutral but loud.

But the stopper for me was listening to Jennifer Juniper. Donovan sings about "lilacs in her hair", and "hair of golden flax". And the "shoup, shoup, shoup" of the hi-hat? Well, I'm pretty sure it's scissors!

The lesson: Don't be afraid to be creative and make unique sounds...

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Just last night I was listening to a Best of Donovan CD, and was really amazed at how every one of his hits was mixed for a completely different sound - especially the drums.
    Hmm...very interesting food for thought, thanks for sharing this unique musical perspective. In fact, you peaked my curiosity enough to go out later this evening to the used CD store and check out a copy of the Donovan CD, besides I liked his music when growing up.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hi hats can sound any way you like.

The only suggestion I have is this: If you don't like the sound you're hearing, try to figure out what is too present in the sound, and use EQ to reduce the level of the frequency range that is bothering you.

It's much faster than trying to "add" what you feel is missing. It is also usually the more transparent approach, since boosting EQ will tend to boost elements of the sound you don't wish to affect.

Unless you're going for specifically unrealistic results, I'd stay away from anything too radical, EQ-wise, on cymbals of any kind. It's better to choose a different cymbal if you're not getting what you want.

With sample libraries, too, you don't know how much EQ and processing the sound has already had, and as follows, how much or little EQ it will take before starting to get crispy.

If you want to get rid of the chunky sound of the hats, roll off around 350-500hz

If you want the nice airy "sshhhhhh" sound, boost around 3khz-5khz

Works for me.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

I just about never mic hats in live drum situations, and with samples I usually let the overheads do the work and just ghost the mic in for presence (that's with libs with bleed like LS or DFHS). But I usually leave them flat (generally, in a good lib they've been miced to be bright anyway). With most drummers hearing the dang things will not be a problem. The exception is studio drummers that hit them with some finesse.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    With most drummers hearing the dang things will not be a problem. The exception is studio drummers that hit them with some finesse.
    word up, there....

Go Back to forum