• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just Don't Know

Share/Bookmark

Cool Just Don't Know

I was configuring my new GS3 and got the prompt that it was being forced into re-wire because it couldn't detect any GSIF compatible sound card. So the GSIF compatible MOTU 828MKll firewire interface I just bought was unnecessary because I still need a sound card? Patience is still a virtue.
    rajay

Re: Just Don't Know

Hi,

I do not have the same soundcard as you, but check out if you have the latest drivers for the Motu 828MKll interface. If not here is a download link http://downloads.motu.com/firewire/SETUPFW3.5.3.2.zip
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Also check to see if you need to enable GSIF in the sound cards control panel.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rajay
    I was configuring my new GS3 and got the prompt that it was being forced into re-wire because it couldn't detect any GSIF compatible sound card. So the GSIF compatible MOTU 828MKll firewire interface I just bought was unnecessary because I still need a sound card? Patience is still a virtue.
    rajay
    Something is just not configured correctly. That interface supports GSIF.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Something is just not configured correctly. That interface supports GSIF.
    It certainly is supposed to...

I couldn't get the 828mkii to work on my machine either.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43087

First the 828 got into a driver-conflict battle with the Audigy sound card that came in the machine when I bought it. Uninstalling the Audigy drivers and physically removing the Audigy card solved that problem. If you have another sound card installed, you might want to try doing that as well...

Anyway, I still couldn't get Giga to work properly with the 828.

I installed and uninstalled and reinstalled everything over and over for a while, and then just gave up. MOTU tech support told me that they had an 828mkii working just fine with Giga but, when I asked the fellow for a more detailed description of the setup (so that I could see whether I could pinpoint some kind of hardware- or Windows-based difference between their setup and mine), all I got in response was [sound of crickets].

So... was it a defective unit? A driver conflict? A hardware conflict? A Windows issue? Never did find out. The 2408 cost a little bit more than the 828 but, after figuring in the money value of time...

Thankfully, the place where I purchased the 828 had a great return policy and I solved that problem by upgrading to a 2408mk3 -- which works like a charm.
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Cool Re: Just Don't Know

Thanks for the advice fellas. I tried reloading from the MOTU disk. When I tried to access the driver info it always said drivers not found (18) I believe there's a conflict just like you said. I'm now un-installing SoundMax and anything else with sound drivers just to see if the drivers will load. Just got a new Dell Dimension just for internet so I can dedicate this IBM ThinkCentre M51 to just Giga, Sonar, and Chicken Systems Translator. I'm running a P4 3gigHT SATA at 7200rpm with 3.2 gigs of ddram. I just ordered a Fantom 160 gig firewire USB external drive for content storage. Is there any significance to whether the drives match or not. The seek time is 8.5 Tell me quick before Tiger Direct ships it! By the way alanb, thanks for referring me here from that other dead site! Man, these guys are truly genious. Despite your previous horror stories I still bought the 828. Let's see if I can make lemonade. Last question, just what does a guy do with 2 Akai S2800 studio, Two EMU ESI 4000, one ElllX and MPC 3000 after acquiring GS3? And that's only a partial list!
    -Rajay
    Last edited by rajay; 06-17-2006 at 01:16 AM. Reason: incorrect info

Well, despite all your teaching, I've failed. Still can't get this darned machine to recognize the drivers for the MOTU 828. Just called zZounds and they agreed to exchange it. I told them I'm leaning toward the M-Audio Delta 1010. I'll ask you G man and Jon, what do you guys think. I'm in over my head at this point so I might as well learn how to swim. 57 years old. The old brain cells just ain't what they used to be! alanb why didn't I listen to you? If there's another interface that'll reside seamlessly with Giga, let me know. It's gotta have 8 ins and outs plus midi. Doing a stage production and Giga's doing the strings etc. along with live musicians. Really short learning curve.
    -Rajay
    Last edited by rajay; 06-19-2006 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Unfinished description

Go Back to forum