~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Practical idealism

And ...??

Good point Chris,

Definately yes, we need practical idealism... um as long as we're not talking about practical as in practical joke.

Practical
    1 a : of, relating to, or manifested in practice or action : not theoretical or ideal <a practical question> <for all practical purposes> b : being such in practice or effect : VIRTUAL <a practical failure>
    2 : actively engaged in some course of action or occupation <a practical farmer>
    3 : capable of being put to use or account : USEFUL <he had a practical knowledge of French>
    4 a : disposed to action as opposed to speculation or abstraction b (1) : qualified by practice or practical training <a good practical mechanic> (2) : designed to supplement theoretical training by experience
    5 : concerned with voluntary action and ethical decisions <practical reason>
    - prac·ti·cal·i·ty /"prak-ti-'ka-l&-tE/ noun
    - prac·ti·cal·ness /'prak-ti-k&l-n&s/ noun

Practically most of all our problems, in my opinion, stemmed from impractical idealism.

Main Entry: im·prac·ti·cal
    Pronunciation: (")im-'prak-ti-k&l
    Function: adjective
    : not practical: as a : not wise to put into or keep in practice or effect b : incapable of dealing sensibly or prudently with practical matters c : IMPRACTICABLE d : IDEALISTIC
    - im·prac·ti·cal·i·ty /-"prak-ti-'ka-l&-tE/ noun
    - im·prac·ti·cal·ly /-'prak-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

That possibly appies even if your not speaking of political matters, which are frequently too contentious for my taste, so I usually try to tread very lightly.

Main Entry: 1tread
    Pronunciation: 'tred
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): trod /'träd/; also tread·ed; trod·den /'trä-d&n/; or trod; tread·ing
    Etymology: Middle English treden, from Old English tredan; akin to Old High German tretan to tread
    transitive senses
    1 a : to step or walk on or over b : to walk along : FOLLOW
    2 a : to beat or press with the feet : TRAMPLE b : to subdue or repress as if by trampling : CRUSH
    3 : to copulate with -- used of a male bird
    4 a : to form by treading : BEAT <tread a path> b : to execute by stepping or dancing <tread a measure>
    intransitive senses
    1 : to move on foot : WALK
    2 a : to set foot b : to put one's foot : STEP
    3 : COPULATE
    - tread·er noun
    - tread on one's toes : to give offense (as by encroaching on one's rights or feelings)
    - tread water : to keep the body nearly upright in the water and the head above water by a treading motion of the feet usually aided by the hands

Best Regards,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Nevermind...
    Also a very good point, do you think a good feature for them to add would be a way for someone to delete a thread if they start one, but then sudenly changes their mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Also a very good point, do you think a good feature for them to add would be a way for someone to delete a thread if they start one, but then sudenly changes their mind?
    Chris didn't really change his mind.

He just discovered Practical Pragmatism... lol.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Yes, particularly for the capricious spirits among us (or at least the ones most likely to forget where they put their coffee cup).
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Yes, particularly for the capricious spirits among us (or at least the ones most likely to forget where they put their coffee cup).
    You too huh? I still haven't found my coffee cup, last time I lost it, I found it in the backyard, but not there this time.

Go Back to forum