• Register
  • Help

Topic: Replacing motheroard--GPO registration?

Share/Bookmark

Replacing motheroard--GPO registration?

Hey everybody,

My laptop fried and I sent it to ASUS for repairs. They are replacing the motherboard.

Is this going to be a problem with my GPO/JABB registration (or my other NI Kontakt Player instruments, of which I have at least 6-7?

How about my Windows XP registration? Windows was pre-installed on my laptop and I'm not even sure I have the disc. Am I going to have to re-verify it or something?

Thanks,
    chris.

Re: Replacing motheroard--GPO registration?

I don't know about the Windows thing, but if the motherboard does invalidate your GPO/JABB install it's no problem at all. I just went through this with a hard drive that crashed. You simply go to the NI site, deactivate your registration, get your computer back up and running, and then reinstall / register it. It was one of the more hassle free experiences in putting my DAW back together.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I just replaced my MoBo twice over Memorial Day weekend. GPO was not a problem, nor many of my other software license since the hard drive was in tact as was the registry for all the programs. I believe there is only an issue if you have to re-install on a new hard drive.

Rich
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Windows could be a problem, if it is an OEM license, that came with your PC. An OEM license is tied to the hardware, it came with. You can still replace a lot of your hardware without getting problems, but there is a stubborn rumor, that you can NOT change the motherboard with an OEM license.

Nicke said:
    Windows could be a problem, if it is an OEM license,
    Yes, I almost forgot. You will have to activate windows when you first start up on your new motherboard. No big problem unless you've reached your quota on activations (which I did). That required a call to a toll free number where I had to explain my situation and then I was given a 54 digit number to type into to a dialog box before windows would be happy.

Good luck
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum