• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Faure - Cantique de Jean Racine

Share/Bookmark

Faure - Cantique de Jean Racine

The well known choral work "Cantique de Jean Racine" was composed by Gabriel Faure in 1865 based on a prayer penned by the 17th century dramatist Jean Racine and dedicated to Caesar Franck. It is usually performed in four part SATB and occasionally by all male chorus accompanied by piano or organ.

This arrangement on Cantique is written for trombone quartet (AT, 2T, B) and organ (or piano) in the manner of the all male chorus. The GPO instruments are as follows;

Quartet: Solo Ten Tromb, Ten Tromb Plr 1, Ten Tromb Plr 2, Ten Tromb Plr 3
    Organ: Flute and also Cornet used during the solo.

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Cant...om%20Organ.mp3

I selected the tenor trombone (Plr 3) for the bass trombone voice as it is a smoother sound that best fits this work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Faure - Cantique de Jean Racine

Knowing this piece and reading your comments, I found myself
    wondering how well this would work.

But, indeed, this works superbly!

Absolutely wonderful job on this, Gary -- beautifully done. I've
    listened through this several times with much appeciation.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Gary,

I second everything David said. I got a real sense of the space that the music was happening in, and loved the use of dynamics.
    Even though I'm definitely an ex-organist these days, I'm aware that we get an unfair rap for being insensitive and mechanical players. It's nonsense of course, and the only thing that would have made this piece perfect for me would have been a bit of tempo ebb and flow to mirror climaxes, phrasing, interesting harmonic developments etc.
    I hope you take that in the spirit that it's made, it's just that IMO that would make it sing a tiny bit more.

keep it up Gary!!

BB

David and Barrie,

David, yes it is surprising how well the tenor ensemble works with this piece. The SATB voicing really spreads the voices out so there is no crowding that will cause the sound to get muddy. The GPO organ flute registers are so lovely and fit the work so well in contrast to the brass of the trombones. I wrote this with the Eastman Trombone Choir in mind and would love to have them perform it if the opportunity presented itself, 20+ members strong!

Barrie, the playback is right out of the Finale score. I didn't try to adjust the tempo at all as the performances I have heard were rather tightly metered until the end. That is not to say that some variances in tempo could make it more interesting. I am still rather novice at Finale and haven't gotten a good handle on the tempo shapings facilities yet either.

Thanks so much for your comments. More to follow in the near future.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi Gary,

I, too, enjoyed listening to this this very much. The articulations were really well-executed along with a sensitive command of this genre stylistically -- and I'd kill to have your lead trombone's range!

Danny

Nicely done!. Would it make sense to ask for alto trombone to help with those high notes? When I was in college I did a transcription of the Brahms Alto Rhapsody for alto trombone, trombone choir and wind ensemble that turned out very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by DDW
    Hi Gary,
    I, too, enjoyed listening to this this very much. The articulations were really well-executed along with a sensitive command of this genre stylistically -- and I'd kill to have your lead trombone's range!
    Danny
    Thanks for your kind comments. The lead is written for alto trombone, the soprano voice in the choral work. I did bump the whole piece down a step in the actual score.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dargason
    Nicely done!. Would it make sense to ask for alto trombone to help with those high notes? When I was in college I did a transcription of the Brahms Alto Rhapsody for alto trombone, trombone choir and wind ensemble that turned out very nicely.
    Thanks for stopping by for a listen and your comments!! Yes it is scored for alto trombone as you might suspect. I used a tenor trombone from GPO in its place I have some other works for trombone choir that I will post and are at my music page.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric

I am still rather novice at Finale and haven't gotten a good handle on the tempo shapings facilities yet either.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary,

I don't use Finale so don't know how complicated that is! As I said, personal preference, not a criticism! Again, well done!

BB

Excellent arrangement GaryBric!
    Those trombones combine to create a surprisingly relaxing effect. Just the job to accompany a long soak in the bath

Good work!
    Jon

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast