• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: RMX Sample Copyright Clarification

Share/Bookmark

RMX Sample Copyright Clarification

I'm in the process of licensing some musical works and the company concerned has asked for photocopies of all licenses from any sample libraries that have been used.

As I have used RMX I assume that this would be classified as a sample library and as such I need to assure them that it is ok to use the loops in my music. I know that Spectrasonics stuff gets used in lots of film and TV music but reading the sounds license agreement it only specifically mentions permission to use it in Multimedia/Game Music projects. Apart from that there is a line saying the sounds are guaranteed 100% copyright clean. Would that line be sufficient to prove that I can in fact use RMX in my musical works? Oh yes, I do own a legit licensed copy of course.

Thanks

Re: RMX Sample Copyright Clarification

No problem....RMX is license for that type of use in musical applications. It's covered under the license agreement.

spectrum

Can you give some clarification on the video games restriction. I am not sure what it means to have "samples encoded into the game". Does that mean using the game to trigger the samples themself?
    Thanks
    dc

Quote Originally Posted by dcwave
    Can you give some clarification on the video games restriction. I am not sure what it means to have "samples encoded into the game". Does that mean using the game to trigger the samples themself?
    Yes....that's not allowed without a special license to be negotiated with the game company. It's essentially redistributing our samples.

But normal music mixes are fine of course.

The simple explanation of our license is that any use embedded within mixed music is OK. When our samples are separated or used in non-musical applications is where the standard license ends.

spectrum

Thanks Eric and what happens if I remix a track for an artist using my copy of RMX. I get paid for the remix and the artist's label release the remix and have copyright on it. Does it matter if the remixed artist does not own RMX themself?

Sure....that's no problem.

The vast majority of our customers are working with other artists as collaborators, session musicians, arrangers, remixers, etc. Using the instrument for any musical project is fine.

For more clarification on these types of questions, check out our licensing FAQs are of the support knowledgebase:

http://support.spectrasonics.net/viewtopic.php?t=37

Best,

spectrum :-)

Smile Re: RMX Sample Copyright Clarification

Hello All,

Just one question I have about this that has been bugging me.

What if I use RMX in a song and that song contains a drum-only break (think they used to be called drum solos ) - is that still ok? After all, there will be a time in your music when only RMX is playing.....

Thanks

Tyrone Howe
    Tyrone Howe

Sure...that's absolutely fine. Happens all the time in fact.

Your work is being released as a recording of music with no intention or rights granted to people sampling the breaks in the music. That's a completely different situation than releasing it as a sampling product.
    So you're totally OK. :-)

And what would happen if you sold,transferred or licensed the song to a music library or production music library?

Quote Originally Posted by screentan
    And what would happen if you sold,transferred or licensed the song to a music library or production music library?
    No problem...that's all covered in the licensing faqs page:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instrum...usrmx_faq.html

Really guys....normal application "mixed music" with our products is 100% fine. It's only a problem if music is distributed as separate tracks and our stuff is isolated.

Go Back to forum