• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bach - Prelude and Fugue in G-Major

Share/Bookmark

Bach - Prelude and Fugue in G-Major

Here is a really breathtaking work for organ set for large brass choir; 4 Trumpets, 3 F Horns, 3 Trombones, 1 Euphonium and 1 Tuba.

The GPO instrument selections for both are;

Trpt 1 Plr 1, Trpt 2 Plr 1, Trpt 2 Plr 2, Trpt 2 Plr 3,
    French Horn 1 Plr 1, French Horn 2 Plr 1, French Horn 2 Plr 1,
    Tenor TBone Plr 1, Tenor TBone Plr 2, Bass Trombone Solo 2,
    Tuba Solo1 and Tuba Solo 2

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Prelude%20BWV541.mp3

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Fugue%20BWV541.mp3

Enjoy.

Gary

Re: Bach - Prelude and Fugue in G-Major

Great transcription job on this venerable standard, Gary.

Skillfully done with voicing out the parts appropriately,
    and dead true to source, these transcriptions are quite
    a good deal of work; but well worthwhile in expanding
    the brass repertoire.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Good job, Gary....

I liked your voicing of the the instruments - i.e. how you combined them. It was very nicely split up between the forces.

A couple of suggestions, if I may...

- I'd maybe either bring the volume up on the bass line or reduce everything else slightly - I sort of felt like the bass line disappeared in parts (granted, I'm an organist, and used to hearing a nice 16' reed stop on this in the pedal)

- I'd also explore using some articulations, especially on the repeated notes - my ear wants to hear some separation (especially on the fugue). Explore a bit with staccato, accent and accented staccato....

Here's a short example:

http://evensongmusic.net/audio/BachStacc.mp3

See how it makes the music come alive?

Great start on this, Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by giwro_jon
    Good job, Gary....

- I'd maybe either bring the volume up on the bass line or reduce everything else slightly - I sort of felt like the bass line disappeared in parts (granted, I'm an organist, and used to hearing a nice 16' reed stop on this in the pedal)

- I'd also explore using some articulations, especially on the repeated notes - my ear wants to hear some separation (especially on the fugue). Explore a bit with staccato, accent and accented staccato....
    I am very familiar with the organ sounds that you mentioned in your comments.

I have actually played around with both aspects before and there are pros and cons with it. I am using notation and not midi sequencing so it is not as easy to get the individual control of the instruments. Also, the brass instrument just don't give you the nice buzzing of a pedal reed.

I have found that placing a lot of staccato markings on the brass instruments gives an almost surreal sound for some reason. I don't know if it is the attacks fooling the ambience reverb or what ever else it is. I have heard this transcription performed live and it varies a great deal depending on location, instruments, weather, mood of the musicians, inclination of the earth, etc.

I would invite you visit my web site, www.garybricault.com , and browse around there and check out the other organ transcriptions that I have there too. You should find some others quite interesting.

Thanks for your comments again!!

Gary

Go Back to forum