• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need help transfering files from Finale 2006 to Cubase

Share/Bookmark

Smile Need help transfering files from Finale 2006 to Cubase

(Hi, I posted this in the "Tips" section, but in the mean time thought I might try this board to see if anyone has any suggestions or ideas concerning this.)

Can anyone tell me the quickest, easiest way to transfer files from Finale 2006 to Cubase--or at least an easier way than I am doing it? I entered my piece in Finale 2006 (using the GPO instruments for playback) and it sounds great (with the exception of the usual midi hickups, etc.), but when I save it as a midi file and open the song up in Cubase to record it as an audio wav file, in addition to having to reload all the GPO instruments into Cubase (like I had them loaded for the song in Finale), in Cubase certain instruments sound much louder (e.g. Pizzicato Double Basses) or softer (e.g. Violins 1 KS) than they did in Finale so I have to go back and try to adjust the dynamics in all the tracks. Also, the commands for the KS instruments that worked fine in Finale 2006 (e.g. note expressions: "pizz.", or the tremolo symbol attached to a note, etc.) do not transfer over when I open the midi file in Cubase, so I have to enter the proper "dummy notes" in all the KS tracks so that Cubase knows when to switch to pizz, tremolo, arco, etc. If there is an easier way to get the exact sound that my song had in Finale 2006 in Cubase and/or if anyone knows if there has been an update to Finale 2006 that now allows you to record a wav using the GPO instruments, I would be most obliged. Thanks!
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Re: Need help transfering files from Finale 2006 to Cubase

Frodo,

Make sure you have the latest update to Finale 2006. It does give to the ability to record a file.

Do a search here on exporting a midi from Finale. I remember reading that in human playback you need to select "detect GPO to always". You might have to run the "apply human playback plugin" also.

I haven't needed to do this in a while and don't remember exactly what steps were involved.

Jeff

KeySwitches do carry over to Cubasis VST 4 and Sonar. I would expect them to also carry over to Cubase. Don't forget, that if you use the Notation set and have checked "Use unified KeySwitches" in Finale, the KeySwitches will appear in MIDI octave 0 in Cubase - and they are very tiny and easy to overlook in the Piano Roll view. It may be easiest to locate them in the Event List view.

Jeff and Nickie,

Thank you very much for your replies. Last night I found and downloaded the updates for Finale 2006 and am very happy that I can now record GPO instruments in Finale! I will take your advice into account when I attempt to save midi files in Finale and transfer them to Cubase. Thanks again for your help!
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Go Back to forum