• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT: Hans Zimmer Facing Legal Battle

Share/Bookmark

OT: Hans Zimmer Facing Legal Battle

Just a curious little blurb I ran across.

Since so many are familar with this soundtrack, I thought I would post it.

Good composers borrow, great composers .....

Gladiator composer Hans Zimmer is being sued by the Holst Foundation over claims the film's Oscar-nominated score is a copy of the late Gustav Holst's famous "Planet Suite." If the foundation win their claim for infringement of copyright they could make millions of dollars, because sales of the film's soundtrack have gone platinum. Despite Zimmer admitting on the album sleeve that he uses "the same language, the same vocabulary, if not the same syntax" as Holst, the music publishers who hold the copyright in Holst's works, J. Curwen & Sons have decided to take legal action. A Curwen spokesman says, "After a considerable period of discussion between the two parties it has become necessary to ask for the assistance of the courts." The defense lawyer says, "Mr. Zimmer's work on Gladiator is world-renowned and is not in any sense a copy of Mars. Just listening to the two works is enough to tell any listener this claim has no merit."

Re: OT: Hans Zimmer Facing Legal Battle

They will loose. Zimmer will win.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    They will loose. Zimmer will win.
    Certainly, despite the similarities it sounds so poor compared to the original that it's obviously two different pieces ( I have heard both in concert).

lol

Well. The implications of Zimmer loosing are beyond imagination. Just about every composer known to man will be in trouble.

Reminds me that the other day I was listening to a Pedro Almodovar film soundtrack. (Written by Alberto Iglesias). I can't remember which.

Guess what I heard in there : Pretty much the same tune as the main LOTR violin theme.
    I believe Iglesias's score dates to earlier than LOTR.

Maybe he's still waiting to do something about it. Maybe he's already settled. Maybe this tune is already in the public domain... I donno.

Sometimes people write things without knowing it's already been done..

I haven't done an A/B check. But I would say I'm 95% sure that what I heard was VERY VERY close to my memory of LOTR.

You have an mp3 snippet?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    lol

Well. The implications of Zimmer loosing are beyond imagination. Just about every composer known to man will be in trouble.
    Are you saying that a court/jury will automatically find Zimmer "not guilty" because of the rammifications it will have on alot of other people, or was that a joke?

Cheers.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    If they win, I wonder if Thomas Newman would be encouraged to go after the zillions of people who have borrowed the language and vocabulary of his "American Beauty" score. He could end up being richer than Bill Gates.
    Hell, every other milk commercial sounded like American Beauty before he wrote it. If anything, someone should go after him!!

If Zimmer loses, I'll eat my hat (Panama hat, urgh).

Inspired: yes, copied exact lines: hardly. I think Zimmer's idea to use a 3/4 meter (the "Walz"), instead of Holst's 5/4 ("Mars"), was really excellent. I believe he used it to underline Rome's "roundness" and "perfectness", yet it also added an ironic, maybe cynical feeling to the battle scenes.

I don't care for all those that say Zimmer's work is below musical standards, this business is not about artistry but craftmanship and commercial effect. I believe Zimmer has contributed an incredible extra dimension to this movie.

Thomas Bergersen once gave me a 1942 cue that is nearly the same as JW's Star Wars theme. I found that a lot more disturbing than the link between Holst and the Gladiator Walz.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

That's not Zimmer's worst lift, anyway.

He once lifted parts of The Old Castle from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, pretty much note for note. He's a borrower. Hasn't figured out how to steal, yet.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast