• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sound Logo Creation - business question

Share/Bookmark

Sound Logo Creation - business question

Do you charge the client for creating your proposals no matter if they are chosen? And if one of these sounds is chosen do you charge again then to the justified maximum extent?
    Any concrete amounts? It's probably a buyout, right? The client is a huge advertising agency network. And their client (for whoom the logo will be) is a major car manufacturer.

WIP

Re: Sound Logo Creation - business question

Quote Originally Posted by WIP
    Do you charge the client for creating your proposals no matter if they are chosen? And if one of these sounds is chosen do you charge again then to the justified maximum extent?
    Any concrete amounts? It's probably a buyout, right? The client is a huge advertising agency network. And their client (for whoom the logo will be) is a major car manufacturer.

WIP
    You don't say where you are based, I can only speak from my experience in the UK.
    It's now very rare indeed to be paid for a 'pitch', that is, an attempt to realise the brief for the 'Sound Logo'. The assumption is normally that you should feel privileged to spend your spare time working for nothing on the off chance you get the gig. It's not at all unheard of for companies to already have a favoured composer lined up and to nick the best ideas from other composer's pitches.
    However, there is a sort of logic to this, for instance, I asked a graphic designer to go away and come up with some ideas about a logo for my business. He came back with some frankly pretty poor ideas, but he already wanted to charge me £1500 for his time. Needless to say I dropped him sharpish! These days, If you want to be a media composer you have to have a decent array of kit, and it's much cheaper than it used to be, so it's really only your time that you are speculating against a possible job.
    Having said all that, I urge you to be seriously professional in your financial dealings with the agency should you get the job. DO NOT agree to do it for a silly price because you are starting out..big agencies associate high cost with high value, they WILL NOT value you because you did them a favour - they'll just expect you to do it for the same or less next time and you'll screw it for everyone else.
    In any other business transaction you expect to pay a fair price for a fair service, either buying groceries, a suit or a piece of music. A tailor who sell suits at less than cost to get people into the shop will soon go out of business.
    Should you get the gig, (that's the big 'IF') the agency will almost certainly have a music budget put aside, so you might be able to get an indication of what they are willing to spend (it will almost certainly be a buy out - so consider what you might lose in rights - that is if you could effectively police where and when it was used) - but go in big and allow yourself to be gently pushed down a bit, you must give the impression that you do this kind of negotiation all the time
    I wish you luck - perhaps acting lessons are what we all need - big agencies will be impressed if you give the impression that you do this kind of big stuff all the time, don't get ripped off!!
    Final thought as the pre med kicks in: what do you want to hear.. 1) "the surgeon does this all the time, he's the expert" or 2) "he's never done this before, but he's doing it dead cheap....

regards

Barrie

Re: Sound Logo Creation - business question

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Go Back to forum