• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: EWQLSO Silver for choir and piano?

Share/Bookmark

EWQLSO Silver for choir and piano?

I have recently ordered EWQLSO Gold but since it doesn't include choir or piano I need something else for that. Should I get Silver for that alone? Is it worth it? Or are there any cheaper alternatives for only choir and piano that are just as good as the ones in Silver, or maybe better?

Re: EWQLSO Silver for choir and piano?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagwall
    I have recently ordered EWQLSO Gold but since it doesn't include choir or piano I need something else for that. Should I get Silver for that alone? Is it worth it? Or are there any cheaper alternatives for only choir and piano that are just as good as the ones in Silver, or maybe better?

ewqlso xp pro has a nice piano....for choirs i think u should buy symphonic choirs.....Voices from the apocalypse or the giovani edition that are great too.

The problem is I don't have the money for EWQLSC, thus I'm looking for a cheap alternative that is cheaper than EWQLSO Silver.
    I found Voices Of The Apocalypse and it is slightly more expensive than EWQLSO Silver and it's for Giga, which I don't have. That makes me wonder, how good is the selection of choir included in Silver? Can anyone please post a good mp3 example of choirs straight from EWQLSO Silver?
    Does the word building software work with EWQLSO Silver and does it require GigaStudio?

The silver choir is nothing more than your basic 'oohs' and 'ahhs' pads, from what I remember. Maybe a little more than that, but not much. The samples are taken from VOTA. It's nice for some background choral accompaniment, but VOTA gets my vote-a for the cheapest awesome choir package out there. Just don't make any U.S. movie trailers with it, Nick Phoenix won't like that. There's some neat stylized stuff in the lib that doesn't have an equal in any other choir library, like this evil monk patch that is hard to describe but sounds absolutely diabolical and is SO COOL!!

If you're serious about your choral work, I'd say EWQLSC is the undefeated heavyweight champ of the world. Spectrasonics' Symphony of Voices, as yet rather high-priced for its age (still, half of what SC costs...) still holds its own as a beautiful and spectacular choir library.

I am unaware of any other worthy competitors for what you're seeking. VOTA's good. And as far as pianos are concerned, Michiel Post's pianos are like fifty bucks a pop now at his website (postpiano.com or some such), so you can grab VOTA and pick up some exceptionally nice pianos for ridiculous prices while you're at it, without breakin' the bank.

Godspeed in your sample-collecting ventures dear sir,
    -Tom

P.S. I converted VOTA to Kontakt format rather painlessly ("rather" being the operative verbage there, there were a number of bumps but I got around them quickly enough), so as long as you have K2, you'll be fine there.

P.P.S. By world-building software, I assume you mean the Worldbuilder that comes with SC. There is a primitive, earlier incarnation of the wordbuilder associated with VOTA. Neither work with Silver. And Silver needs no sampler, it is bundled with NI's Kompakt Player and can be loaded as a VSTi.

Thanks, I listened to demos of VOTA and I like what I hear. Too bad it seems to be only for Giga.

EDIT: I was typing my reply at the same time you did. :P Okay, but the problem is I don't have K2 either. So I need some kind of player for the choirs. Seems like Silver is the only way to go? An upgrade to K2 + VOTA + converter + piano library would just be too expensive right now. Would it be worth it? By the way, does Silver have "staccato" samples for the choirs? Again, a quick mp3 example of the Silver choirs would be much helpful.

Hey, try out peter siedlaczeks Extended classical choir.
    it can be used to do simple phrases, and has a fuller sound than symphony of voices.
    It is not as dark and dramatic as Vota however, but it is in Akai and Gigaformat, and also now in VST, as part of the Complete orchestral collection.
    Iv used it for years with good results, and still do , togehter with Vota.

P

I had a look at Peter Siedlaczek's library before but the demos didn't quite speak to me. I'm more of a fan of the dramatic sound of VOTA for instance. However I would appreciate to hear some user demos of Peter Siedlaczek's choir library, if you have the energy to make a quick demo only using this library.

Also I'm thinking about the Miroslav Choir Refill for Reason. It sounds nice enough but if I add like $44 I could get EWQLSO Silver that also includes a piano. Therefore I'm interested in hearing what the choirs in Silver can do.

okay ill do a short demo upload later today, i think the possibility of extended classical choirs are overlooked, in this day of 40 gb+ soundlibraries.
    i ll put i t like this..

Id rather get vota , but if you cant then get extended classical choirs.
    they both sound better, and are more flexible than symphony of voices, wich i think is overrated ,
    ... but the king is offcourse EWQLsymphonic choirs.

Here's a quick demo I just made up of all the EWQL Silver choir patches, and the piano - http://www.rogetmusic.com/temp/EWQL_Choir_Demo.mp3 (no additional reverb or postpro, etc.)

It'll probably sound just slightly different out of the box, I'm sure I put in some edits (like delay or EWQL's native reverb). But it's nothing you can't do with the native Kompakt rompler. One point of annoyance though is that none of the choir patches respond to CC11 (expression), and so you have to either use global volume (CC7) for sweeps or edit it in Kontakt. Extremely frustrating and pointless, it would've taken all of 3 minutes for them to fix this... maybe they have and I just have an early version, I dunno.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

And by the way, Silver comes with piano choir and several organ patches, which sound pretty good I guess... not much of an organ aficionado but it seems to get the job done, lots of timbres and nicely sampled overall.

I'd email their tech support first before buying silver though, something tells me they might just give you the patches (or perhaps for a small fee). The original selling point for EWQL was an upgrade path from silver to gold to platinum, where the full price of the previous version would be applied to the next (buy silver for 300, get gold for 1000-300 = 700, etc). So it'd be silly for them not to let gold users get the silver extras - people upgrading silver to gold would have them, but gold users would have to pay extra. Makes no sense.

(but who knows)
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast