• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Snowflight - Sketches

Share/Bookmark

Snowflight - Sketches

Snowflight - Sketch #1

Prettymuch exactly as the title says. New piece I'm working on. Just a bit of a sketch for ideas. Not sure if this'll be the beginning, or somewhere in the middle. I'll keep updating this thread with more sketches and progress on the piece as time goes on.

The whole thing will be based on this painting, exploring aspects of it as well as a supposed story surrounding the environment and characters.

Constructive criticism and further ideas are wholly welcome

Re: Snowflight - Sketches

Leif,
    You are off to a good start on this work. It certainly has the feeling of the cold blue and white and the uncertanty depicted in the painting. I will be interested in hearing further developments of this and other works of yours.

Gary

This is *most* promising, Leif!

The harmonic work in this is a delectation of itself.

Looking forward to more!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for the great comments so far Definately keeping it up! Hopefully a new sketch every few days until I feel I've got enough material.

Snowflight - Sketch #2

A shorter sketch this time, instead focusing on a lighter, more thematic/counterpoint based motif. Same time signature, different key, much faster tempo. Again, no clue where everything fits. But I think that's the point of these sketches, to get all my ideas out onto paper/audio and then start seeing/hearing the order and eventually writing the ideas together into a solid piece. I've never worked this way before, so non-linearly, but it's a fun experiment nonetheless!

Beautiful, Leif! Look at us! Two guys writing about snow while it's summer out! This is really a wonderful way to work out your ideas, and stretch your musicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
    Thanks for the great comments so far Definately keeping it up! Hopefully a new sketch every few days until I feel I've got enough material.

Snowflight - Sketch #2

A shorter sketch this time, instead focusing on a lighter, more thematic/counterpoint based motif. Same time signature, different key, much faster tempo. Again, no clue where everything fits. But I think that's the point of these sketches, to get all my ideas out onto paper/audio and then start seeing/hearing the order and eventually writing the ideas together into a solid piece. I've never worked this way before, so non-linearly, but it's a fun experiment nonetheless!
    Just noticed you had Sketch #2 up, Leif.

Excellent "busy" counterpoint in this, Leif -- very effective and very well done.

Looking forward to still more on this!

I always find it fascinating to watch the compositional process unfold...

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks as always for the great feedback

This next sketch is sort of a continuation of Sketch #1 chronologically. And since I did some revisions on the first sketch, I'll post both conjoined at the hip!

Snowflight Sketch #1+3

Sketch #3 starts on the sustained note that Sketch #1 ends on, going into a bit of a suspenseful rhythmic section. I've also finally touched base on the main theme that I'm planning on connecting everything with, which I composed before any of the sketches. You can hear it subtely in the cello&bass lines towards the very end of the sketch, in octaves.

Plan as I go further: Sketch #4 will the the beginning of the piece, a quiet exposition of the main theme in the lower woodwinds, transitioning into sketch #2. Sketch #5 will be the section after #3, a duet between the viola and cello sections.

The pieces are starting to come together

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
    Thanks as always for the great feedback

This next sketch is sort of a continuation of Sketch #1 chronologically. And since I did some revisions on the first sketch, I'll post both conjoined at the hip!

Snowflight Sketch #1+3

Sketch #3 starts on the sustained note that Sketch #1 ends on, going into a bit of a suspenseful rhythmic section. I've also finally touched base on the main theme that I'm planning on connecting everything with, which I composed before any of the sketches. You can hear it subtely in the cello&bass lines towards the very end of the sketch, in octaves.

Plan as I go further: Sketch #4 will the the beginning of the piece, a quiet exposition of the main theme in the lower woodwinds, transitioning into sketch #2. Sketch #5 will be the section after #3, a duet between the viola and cello sections.

The pieces are starting to come together
    Some absolutely golden textural and harmonic work in this, Leif!
    Really stunning.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I had a gigantic splurge of ideas today...

Snowflight - Sketch #4 etc.

I can with all honesty say that I have far too much material to work with now.

I wrote quite nearly all of today and came up with this horrid amalgamation of themes and ideas.... I had a chronology for it in my head, seeing exactly what was happening at the time. But when playing it for various people, the general concensus was that I was writing an overture and not an actual piece of music.

The conclusion I came to for myself is that I suck at development on the fly and just keep writing more and more new material. So, any suggestions to the former would be greatly appreciated. I'm mentally exhausted and quite frankly rather grumpy so I'm just going to post it and leave it be for now Maybe a few days. And then I'll come back and see what I can make of it.

For those of you wanting my program notes for what this thing is, in my head anyways...

0:00 - 1:00 ~ Main theme statement & opening
    1:01 - 1:29 ~ Waking up to a new day
    1:30 - 1:40 ~ A busy town
    1:41 - 2:07 ~ Conversations
    2:08 - 2:18 ~ Back alleyway
    2:19 - 2:53 ~ Friendly competition
    2:54 - 3:11 ~ Winding down

Just a bit of an update on how things are progressing...

I've decided that with so much material, I'm going to split this up into several movements in a somewhat similar fashion to Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. What I've defined as the "main theme" will be popping up in recurring movements that I've titled Outskirts as well as being the centerpiece for the final movement. The rest of the movements will tell the story through the themes and passages I've sketched out so far.

The movements will be:

- Outskirts I
    - Morning Life
    - Outskirts II
    - The Forest
    - Outskirts III
    - Mourning Death
    - Soar

I'll likely not post any more sketches, but instead the finished movements in pairs.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast