Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: CPU usage

Share/Bookmark

CPU usage

Win XP Home SP2
    ASUS A7V8X-X
    Athlon XP 2000
    M-Audio 192
    Creative Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro (disabled)
    1 gig RAM
    C: HD 40 gig
    D: HD 38 gig WD raptor (for giga data)
    Promise SATA300 TX2plus HD controller
    GS3 Ensemble 3.0
    Cakewalk Home Studio
    No Network

My CPU usage typically runs at 60 - 80% ALL THE TIME WITH NOTHING RUNNING! Sometimes it sits at 100% for so long that the only way to get anything to happen is to hit the power button. At the same time Task Manager Processes says System Idle Process at 99% with occasional processes in iexplore.exe & Teatimer (Spybot S&D) SOMETHING IS HOGGING THE CPU!

When I can start GS3 the CPU usage bar says about 17% but Task Manager says about 80%, and the sound is notchy so the CPU is too busy to keep up. So far I've:

- Ended processes in Task Manager until I killed the computer - no change
    - Set Windows for "performance" - no change
    - Registry cleanup etc - no change
    - Ran CPU test - no errors
    - Started Windows in diagnostic mode (System.INI, Win.INI, Services & all startup items disabled) - no change
    - Started Windows in Safe Mode - ran normally

I recently did a clean XP reinstall (full HD format) so should be no bugs or viruses. Computer worked fine through reinstalling all software until nearly the end, now it takes nearly 10 minutes to boot. Boot goes quickly until after the first window logo, then SITS with blank screen and no HD activity. Then after windows finally comes up everything looks normal but the hourglass still shows and I can do basically nothing for another several minutes. Seems something is using major CPU cycles even before Windows fully starts. Is there some driver problem?

I'm not sure if GS3 is causing this because it started happening about the time I installed it and another program - not sure which but it was something I had ran before without problems. I installed GS3 3.0 then did the upgrade to 3.12 but ran into licensing problems so uninstalled and reinstalled 3.0 (after installing the M-Audio 192)

I don't expect to be putting GS3 to hard use, just a few samples at a time so according to TASCAM's system requirement my equipment should be adequate. I already invested in more RAM, a DVD ROM, a Raptor HD & SATA controller to run GS3 so I don't want to invest much more until AMD comes out with their new socket.

Any ideas?? I'd sure appreciate some help.

Re: CPU usage

I have a similar problem, but I am trying to install GigaStudio 2.5 on an XP machine-- everything you describe seems to match. I thought GS 3.0 might solve the problem.

Are you on a network? I am, and wonder if that is part of the problem.

I am watching this thread closely!

Nick Palmer

Hi Nick

No network.

Merlin

Well, then I guess I can probably rule out networking. The irritating thing about this is I had originally installed GS 96 on this computer (now 4 or 5 years old) and it worked fine except for the fact that the audio hardware at the time was just catching up to GSIF (sp?). I bought a Win98 machine off the shelf and it worked just fine. Now that the Win98 machine is gone and a new recording machine is in my studio, I hoped to install it on my XP. I got around all the errors that 2.2 et al generate, but now I have the CPU usage problem you are describing with your GS 3.0. I hope they are related and I hope I can use the solution someone might offer you.

Nick

Could be a video card driver problem. My other thought is that you might have an incompatible VST on your system that Giga has tried to load.

Have you been able to run Giga's diagnostics?

I used to use a similar motherboard A7V8X-Deluxe with the MIA. These day's I'm running it with the AP192. Those boards should be fine with Giga.

Another thought: Did you install the VIA 4-in-one drivers? You'll need those, and they should be the latest versions.

There's a recent thread about setting the Msg32.exe service to "manual", rather than "automatic". You should be able to boot the computer in this mode and Giga won't be running. It might help you do maintenance tasks more effectively, until you get this all figured out. You would have to manually start the service, before starting Giga.

You can lear more about starting and stopping services here: http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP.html

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Josquin
    Well, then I guess I can probably rule out networking. The irritating thing about this is I had originally installed GS 96 on this computer (now 4 or 5 years old) and it worked fine except for the fact that the audio hardware at the time was just catching up to GSIF (sp?). I bought a Win98 machine off the shelf and it worked just fine. Now that the Win98 machine is gone and a new recording machine is in my studio, I hoped to install it on my XP. I got around all the errors that 2.2 et al generate, but now I have the CPU usage problem you are describing with your GS 3.0. I hope they are related and I hope I can use the solution someone might offer you.

Nick
    What happens to your CPU usage if you open task manager and stop the process called msg32.exe ?

What happens to your CPU usage if you open task manager and stop the process called msg32.exe ?
    If I start GS96, the CPU slams to 99% then bounces around the high 80s and 90s. The control surface will display after quite some time, but the CPU usage sits near the ceiling. GStudio.exe is taking up all the CPU time, msg32.exe is at 0% always.

If I turn msg32.exe off before starting GS, as you would guess, GS doesn't go beyond any initial diagnostics dialog. If I turn msg32.exe off after starting GS and while it is still loading, nothing happens.

BTW, msg32.exe doesn't show up as a service by that name when I look through the services list. What's it called?

I have an nvidia driver (GE Force MX 200). I'm not sure about VSTs. I have SONAR 2, so I believe there are some DXi's. How can I stop GS from looking for them, if that may be a problem?

Nick

I don't know where to find it in services.

What I did was found it in msconfig ... disabled it's auto startup and then made a shortcut to it on the desktop so I can start it when I need it.

I got the same problem CPU running at 50 percent!! Tried everything not looking fdw to reinstalling because of this

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Thanks for the help so far.

Stopped msg32.exe, no change
    Uninstalled Cakewalk VST, no change

FYI, I have had GS3 running and playing using the virtual keyboard and a piano sound, and there was sound but as mentioned it was notchy.

Since then, I ran Advanced System Optimizer (a registry cleaner) and it came up with some Giga related messages and I assumed it was because I installed 3.12 then uninstalled then reinstalled 3.0 as mentioned above. Giga will no longer start, however I can start giga diagnostics. See below. When I click Apply or OK though it crashes.

Question - What would happen if I did a "clean" Giga uninstall then reinstalled??

Thanks

Giga diagnostics comes up with the following at the end of the log (note error messages).

mfc42.dll 995383 08-23-01 06:00AM 6.0.400 Yes local No
    NemeSys EndlessWave Log (NEMDiag.log)
    InstallDriver(): Unable to CreateService: The specified service has been marked for deletion.

StartDriver(): Unable to OpenService().
    The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

LoadDeviceDriver(): UNABLE to install and start driver: EWAVE (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ew.sys)
    OpenDevice(): Failed to CreateFile with name \\.\EWAVE1
    OpenDevice(): Failed CreateFile with backup name \\.\Global\EWAVE
    EW.SYS failed to load.
    SetSecurityLevelForService(): Finished changing securitDelta-AP192 GSIF driver
    y level.
    LoadDeviceDriver(): Able to install and start driver: EWAVE (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ew.sys)
    EW.SYS loaded.
    SetSecurityLevelForService(): Finished changing security level.
    LoadDeviceDriver(): Able to install and start driver: NSTATION (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nstation.sys)
    Progress 790 -
    SetSecurityLevelForRegKey(): Finished changing security level.
    SetSecurityLevelForService(): Finished changing security level.
    LoadDeviceDriver(): Able to install and start driver: FILESPY (C:\WDelta-AP192 GSIF driver
    INDOWS\system32\drivers\FILESPY.sys)
    OpenDevice(): Failed to CreateFile with name \\.\FILESPY1
    OpenDevice(): Passed CreateFile with backup name \\.\Global\FILESPY
    Progress 788 -
    Progress 789 -
    Memory calculations: phys. memory = 1073242112 bytes, phys. memory (adj.) = 804931584, memory diff. = 268310528
    Progress 791 - PROGRESS_INITWSTREAM:
    WSTRM32 successfully initialized the WaveStream module.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast