• Register
  • Help

Topic: Maple Leaf Rag (GPO Steinway)

Share/Bookmark

Maple Leaf Rag (GPO Steinway)

Hello:

If anyone would like a public domain recording of Scott Joplin's "Maple Leaf Rag," which also happens to be created with GPO, I've posted one at the Internet Archive:

http://www.archive.org/details/MapleLeafRag

It was created as part of my forthcoming animation "The Cell-Phone," hopefully coming soon to a film festival near you. But as I said, this recording is in the public domain, so download it, copy it, sell it, re-mix it, do whatever you like to it...

("The Cell-Phone" also features Jeff Lee's arrangement of Sugar Cane for Dixieland band, well worth a listen if you haven't already. Note that Jeff's recording is not in the public domain.)

Re: Maple Leaf Rag (GPO Steinway)

You're actually playing that piece are you? By the sound of it I would suggest not. It's very fast and sounds mechanical. Is that the way you wanted it?

Text deleted. I apologize for my rather caustic post. It was not meant to be that way.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    It's much, much, much, much too fast! Standard ragtime tempo is about half of this.

Scott Joplin is spinning in his grave, in my humble opinion!

Did I mention that it's too fast?

Larry A.
    Yeah - I agree Larry. I didn't really want to say that because maybe that's the way it fits into an animation.

But the reason I mentioned anything in the first place is because I've always played this as my warmup piece and maybe played it a thousand times, so I'm fairly comfortable and quite familiar with it.

Although saying that, I remember years ago a real ragtime purist giving a masterclass and playing it the way he 'thought' Joplin 'might' have played it at the Maple Leaf club - and it was fast.
    But Joplin usually marks his rags with 'not too fast' and unfortunately, to my ears at least because this is too fast - it sounds very mechanical.

Just an opinion.

Yes, if it was played at the proper tempo it would not work for the animation.

That said, I have a recording by Dick Hyman which is just about the same speed. That doesn't make it "correct," of course.

For my personal taste, I'd say the tempo is slightly brisk -- though
    I've certainly heard it performed at this pace elsewhere.

Animations, of course, have their own demands.

Overall, on a couple of listens, Zach... I like the quick tempo
    well enough. The performance and rendering -- nice job!

As a very general comment, I think there's always room for
    differing interpretations of a piece. One way is not necessarily
    more "right" than another.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I agree with David on the leeway of interpetation. Even though personally I hear it little on the brisk side you also have a special consideration, the animation. If the music were performed otherwise it probably would not work. There are many examples of classical works performed during animated sequences and most certainly not in standard tempo or form. With this said, the GPO piano sounded splendid in your realization.

Have fun producing more unusual works!

Gary

Zach,

Very nicely done. I like the brisk pace and imagine it would work perfectly in an animation. I seem to recall old cartoons using the Maple Leaf with an animated tempo.

I am looking forward to seeing "Cell-phone" when it is released.

Thanks for posting this.

Gary

Yes it's fast, but I have heard some eminent players do it a similar tempo. I think the piece can take it, although my preference would be a bit slower pace. However in a film context the usual rules may not apply.

Thumbs up Re: Maple Leaf Rag (GPO Steinway)

I did an analysis on Joplin’s music and Rag style while studying Jazz in music education. The tempo is a bit fast but not unheard of for the day. For authenticity and giving the public a glimpse into how Rag would have sounded on the pianos back then, try using two GPO Steinways. One, in tune and the other slightly out of tune flat. I rendered Joplin’s "Bethena" a while back using this method and obtained a rather convincing effect. You may be able to do a search for "Bethena". May still be around.
    Other than the tempo, well done.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum