• Register
  • Help

Topic: For Finale Users...

Share/Bookmark

Question For Finale Users...

How do you write a grand pause on a score that Human Playback will interpret?

(Yes, I know there are Finale boards, but people here are nicer and more fun)

Thanks!

Re: For Finale Users...

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82
    How do you write a grand pause on a score that Human Playback will interpret?
    Just create an expression saying "Grand Pause" or "G.P." over an empty measure. HP will catch it and pause for a time longer than the plain measure.

Works for you?

R.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Piéchaud
    Just create an expression saying "Grand Pause" or "G.P." over an empty measure. HP will catch it and pause for a time longer than the plain measure.

Works for you?

R.
    Thanks Robert,

How about if I just want a longer-than-standard pause after a fermata? There's a pause there now, but I want it longer. Also, I don't want all the fermatas to be followed by a longer pause, just that one. Can I do this without putting extra beats (measures) in? I want the score to have one phrase end and then the next pick up in the very next measure, just with a pause in there.

if it must absolutely be the printing score that plays back perfectly (I normally have two files - one for printing perfection and one for playback fine-tuning), you can set whichever measure needs a longer pause to BE longer. For example, let's say your time signature is 4/4, and you have a fermata on the last beat of that measure on a rest, make the measure, say, 6/4 but display as 4/4, and simply put an invisible 2-note rest at the end. you might have to adjust the width of the measure a little.

Robert, that's a feature that might be nice at one point in HP - a sort of "case-by-case" editing of playback (I've come across a couple of spots where I've wanted more of a change on certain notational elements without actually going in and fiddling with "tempo tap").
    or you could add yet a few more words that HP wll recognize - like "long" for fermatas, for example? I've seeen SOME scores with that (I forget exactly how it was notated, in Italian).

Hi Michel,

I have had in mind a sort of text-based, case-by-case, fine-tuning of HP behavior... But it is still on the drawing board...
    Rome wasn't built in one day, I guess...

R.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    if it must absolutely be the printing score that plays back perfectly (I normally have two files - one for printing perfection and one for playback fine-tuning), you can set whichever measure needs a longer pause to BE longer. For example, let's say your time signature is 4/4, and you have a fermata on the last beat of that measure on a rest, make the measure, say, 6/4 but display as 4/4, and simply put an invisible 2-note rest at the end. you might have to adjust the width of the measure a little.
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Robert, that's a feature that might be nice at one point in HP - a sort of "case-by-case" editing of playback (I've come across a couple of spots where I've wanted more of a change on certain notational elements without actually going in and fiddling with "tempo tap").
    or you could add yet a few more words that HP wll recognize - like "long" for fermatas, for example? I've seeen SOME scores with that (I forget exactly how it was notated, in Italian).
    Yes, I too think there's room for growth with HP, a few additional things I'd like to see - especially more JABB integration. Of course, this will always be true because there's an infinite amount of things that can be done musically. HP is such a wonderful tool already, and I'm amazed of how much it is capable.

Go Back to forum