• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bolder Sounds CIMBALOM and FREE Music Box

Share/Bookmark

Bolder Sounds CIMBALOM and FREE Music Box

Hello All,

At the Bolder Sounds site is a FREE sound bank for Tascam Giga 3, NI Kontakt as well as the EXS 24. It is entitled "Music Box". What was sampled was actually the mechanism of a music box mounted to a glass top wood table. I've noticed that samples of music boxes are relatively rare and now I know why - they're very tricky to sample!

The file is about 11MB zipped and 13 MB unzipped. The samples are 24 bit stereo.
    Go to http://www.boldersounds.com/ and on the left side of the home page it says FREE sound libraries, that's the place.

This is in conjunction with the release of Volume I - CIMBALOM of the Hammered Dulcimer Trilogy fro GigaStudio 3. The full Trilogy has already been released for Kontakt as well as the EXS 24. The Hammered Dulcimer Trilogy consists of :
    Volume 1 - Cimbalom
    Volume II - Concert Grand Hammered Dulcimer
    Volume III - 2 Course Hammered Dulcimer

The GigaStudio Cimbalom was recorded in 24 bit stereo at mf, ff dynamic levels as well as dampered and roll (tremolo) samples.

Audio demos of the Hammered Dulcimer Trilogy are available at the Bolder site.

Comments and questions are always welcome. Enjoy the Music Box sample!

Dennis @ Bolder
    http://www.boldersounds.com/

Talking Re: Bolder Sounds CIMBALOM and FREE Music Box

Hmmm....

Well, I'm not sure what sounds in particular you are getting at, but my experience with Bolder sounds is rather extraordinary.

They do a simply fantastic job at presenting usable samples that are as varied as the stars. But they do them all justice, and they do them all well.

They are probably the the most extraneous company that I've contacted,.... but at the same time, it would be ignorant to dismiss them as "a sideliner, or rogue interest".

In my limited experience, their samples kick the snot out of most others that lay claim to certain instruments.........Just my unqualified personal opinion.

But Bolder rocks as far as I am concerned.

They deserve to be acknowledged in the same way that the rest of our most "beloved" developers are,.... but you will all be the judge(s)

Personally,..... I love Bolder. They are really good at what they do!!!!!

Thumbs up Re: Bolder Sounds CIMBALOM and FREE Music Box

I have the Bolder Cimbalom. I waited years for someone to cover the Cimbalom and Bolder's version is a gem. A totally authentic recreation of an instrument that has been mysteriously absent from many developers ethnic to-do lists. Well, Bolder got there first and have really nailed it. Chromatic sampling, 2 velocity layers with extra dampened and tremolo sets. Pretty darn expressive.

It's amazing that the Cimbalom hasn't received more sampling attention until now. It was something of a mainstay in film and television music, as well as a favourite of Bartok, Kodaly and even Stravinsky. It has a gorgeous, rich, highly distinctive sound that catapults you from the menace of the Carpathian mountains to the warm fires of a Romanian gypsy campsite.

Ethno heaven!

Bolder's Music Box freebie is another gem and might be the best music box sample set out there.

Great stuff and I'm glad it's all getting some attention here.

Cheers
    Heath

Re: Bolder Sounds CIMBALOM and FREE Music Box

Quote Originally Posted by Not Dudley Simpson
    I have the Bolder Cimbalom. I waited years for someone to cover the Cimbalom and Bolder's version is a gem.
    Bolder's Music Box freebie is another gem and might be the best music box sample set out there.

Great stuff and I'm glad it's all getting some attention here.

Cheers
    Heath
    Yup, Cimbalom is the most musical instrument to play and Dennis' version is indeed a gem. I also have the Best of ...and they are well worth the outlay

Glad you folks like the music box.

Since I just sampled the a cheap " buy in your local novelty store" mechanism ($7), I made me wonder what a really high quality music box mechanism would sound like. I've seen them for sale online.

This way you can use double stick tape and attach it to any resonator of choice. I tried it out on a washing machine and dryer with some interesting results.... the possibilites are endless really.

Dennis @ Bolder
    http://www.boldersounds.com

Quote Originally Posted by Patthoven
    Hmmm....
    But Bolder rocks as far as I am concerned.

They deserve to be acknowledged in the same way that the rest of our most "beloved" developers are,.... but you will all be the judge(s)

Personally,..... I love Bolder. They are really good at what they do!!!!!
    I should've said earlier that I totally agree with the above. Bolder offer quality and with the "Best of..." compilation a great variety. Besided the dulcimer trilogy there could be more velocity layers, but they've captured the character of the instruments rendering them as playable, and what instruments!!!

Also, on the business side Dennis has been a real gentleman. I was after Bolders Steinway but as I already had the Yamaha C7 in the Best of Bolder I asked if we could come to an arrangement and he put it in the package without charge. There are other instances where I found Bolder to be more than just accomodating.

Go Back to forum