• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which VI Strings First?

Share/Bookmark

Which VI Strings First?

I have EWQLSO Gold and I want to upgrade my strings to VI, but I don't know whether to get Chamber Strings or Orchestral Strings first. I'll be using them for general purpose soundtrack work.

I can only afford one of them - what's the best choice for general purpose? I'd think that Orchestral would be, but then I was reading some posts how Chamber strings are good for dividing up the sections for chords and such, to keep them from getting too thick. I'm a beginner, so not sure if that kind of thing is a bit advanced for me right now. I just never get comfortable playing the EW Gold strings and from what I read VI's the best way to go.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Also: can you purchase VI anywhere besides the ILIO site?

Thanks!!!

Andy

Re: Which VI Strings First?

Orchestra Strings 1 is only Violins and Violas, so it is more limited that way and twice the price to have all 4 sections. I was in the same boat as you so I bought the Chamber Strings and when I want a more lush soundm I triple the tracks and transpose one of them up and one of them down and use the pitch wheel to bring them into unison. This way you are not triggering the same sample and getting phasing. It worked beautifully and it's very little work.

So in essence, you can have BOTH for the price of the Chamber Strings. Plus, more flexibility in the sound you want. My opinion is, when you can, spend the money on the Solo Strings, they are fantastic and great layered with the Chamber.

Just to add, the Chamber Strings sound great on Pop/R&B/Rock tunes.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mattdean
    the Chamber Strings sound great on Pop/R&B/Rock tunes.
    Got any samples in this context?

Quote Originally Posted by mattdean
    ...when I want a more lush soundm I triple the tracks and transpose one of them up and one of them down and use the pitch wheel to bring them into unison.
    Very cool, I love getting tips from the masters. Thanks!

Don't think I have anything I could post that is really Pop/Rock. I'm in the middle of producing my CD and did all the strings after I already had some quick mixes using GPO, then got the Vienna VI and re-did them, so if I can put something together I'll post it.

Rest assured, they cut through a Pop/Rock mix beautifully, and it's much more realistic than what I've used before.

By the way, that trick I used on the strings, of course, works for any sample library at all.

Matt-

How hard does VI Chamber Strings hit your box? Do you need to dedicate a computer to it, or is it more reasonable than that (it's 24 bit, isn't it)?

I know it's hard to generalize, but just wondering if I should factor in hardware when I'm thinking about Chamber Strings, at least for a full-on orchestral score.

buzz

I've had 24 VI's going at once. Working in 44.1 without a hitch. That was along several audio tracks and some plugins, nothing too heavy, so it's safe to say it's pretty easy for what it does. There are optimizing options as well. I have a Dual 2.5Ghz w/4Gigs of RAM using Logic 7.2

Check out

http://www.vsl.co.at/en-us/69/128/33.vsl

for more info. Frankly, it's the best software I have ever used.

I've had 24 VI's going at once. Working in 44.1 without a hitch. That was along several audio tracks and some plugins, nothing too heavy, so it's safe to say it's pretty easy for what it does. There are optimizing options as well. I have a Dual 2.5Ghz w/4Gigs of RAM using Logic 7.2. It's the only machine I use. I know a lot of people use more than one machine for full orchestration, but that's those using a lot of the Vienna instruments - meaning different libraries, thus needing the RAM and hard disk performance. You should be more than fine with a fairly new computer and 4 gigs of RAM..

Check out

http://www.vsl.co.at/en-us/69/128/33.vsl

for more info. Frankly, it's the best software I have ever used.

I have the Vienna Instruments (complete). For general scoring purposes, Vienna has not really laid the detail of what's in Orch 1 and the extended. It's much more than it appears on the web site. I wrote a detailed review so if you want to read it, go here: http://www.soniccontrol.com/reviews/

The basic package is pure meat and potatoes. But the extended library is, "the stuff." With the Orchestral 1 and 2, there is a fantastic group of instruments for muted strings. If within your scoring, you would find richly detailed muted strings helpful, then I suggest Orch Strings 1 and 2.

Otherwise, Chamber is a good bet, but if you can afford it, go Extended.

One other thing. I've been rebuilding my "sound" now that I have this library and I've discovered that using GigaPulse with Mic Replacement (especially the Neumann mic emulations) does great things for the Vienna strings.

In answer to your other question, you can purchase VI from audioMIDI.com, Sweetwater, etc. But the extended purchases go through the distributor.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Go Back to forum