• Register
  • Help

Topic: Systems that work well with K2

Share/Bookmark

Systems that work well with K2

There is a thread on the GS forum that has a list of computers that work well with GS3 that was started by Jon Fairhurst that has helped many GS3 users ....I was wondering if this forum could do the same thing for Kontakt 2 .....I am looking for guys and gals that have computers that work well with K2 ( 2.1.1 )
    I would like to build , or buy a computer that I KNOW will work well with Kontakt 2 .. There were quite a few folks having problems working with GS3, but my computer worked VERY WELL with GS3......I am hoping to find someone with the same type of experience with Kontakt 2 ..... Please list as much info about your computer as possible, and what other programs you have loaded.....Also include the soundcards you are using or any other PCI slotted gizmo's ....Please also include video cards that you are using ....Thanks in advance ......Sincerely, Jim

Re: Systems that work well with K2

I don't think the computer system is as picky with K2 as with Giga. Giga is written for kernel mode which is working directly with the hardware thus you get many hardware incompatibilities.

K2 seems to have more issues with certain software. I've had very few issues with K2 with Sonar although I've seen quite a few issues with Cubase. The latest update seems to resolve many of the Cubase issues. K2 in general still seems to work better on PC's than Mac's at this time.

Jim

Jim
    Thanks for your reply, and the head's up on Cubase ....I broadened my question to include programs, soundcards, etc to evoke answers like you gave ...I also understand that a while ago Kontakt was NOT taking advantage of the Dual Core processors ...I have seen no mention of whether or not this has been included in recent updates ... Since this computer will be specifically built for Kontakt 2, and for Sonar together , I would like to build or buy a computer that would be optimised for these programs .... I have no problems running GS3 in the same computer as programs that use the KomPakt engines, but I understand that KonTakt is a bit different so I will run it in it's own computer .. I waited a long time before getting a computer for GS3 and it paid off as I have minimul problems with it .... I'm trying to do the same for Kontakt 2 .....Thanks again for your reply.....Sincerely,Jim

Haydns right.. K2 is just another VSTi to most systems so your not going to run into the GS kernal driver issues.

rich

I'm holding off on upgrades at this time. My goal is to start using Sonar as a 64-bit app. Intel will be introducing its new line of processors in the 3rd quarter which they hope will surpass the performance of the current AMD processors. I'm also waiting to see how the 64 bit version of Vista pans out.

I'm getting pretty good performance with my current system but I'm hitting the 2 GB wall constantly. I try not to fire up my 2nd machine unless I either need Giga or just need more realtime instruments without freezing tracks. The purge function in K2 has really worked well.

Jim

Go Back to forum