• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can anyone help in how to get this sound, rhythmic percussive filter.

Share/Bookmark

Can anyone help in how to get this sound, rhythmic percussive filter.

Hi I am working on a project that requires that distinctive rhythmic percussive filter that you hear in lots of songs today. It's like a white noise filter. How do they make this sound work and what sort of soft synths are out there that could help me...The example I have is Andrea Bocelli's new song " Because we believe" the 2nd Verse has this percussive filter in the background adding to the rhythm...could anyone advise me please? Much appreciated. I'm sorry but I cannot post the MP3 for some reason...but if someone is interested I could post the MP3 to you. thanks.

Re: Can anyone help in how to get this sound, rhythmic percussive filter.

Here's a link to the song Joey is talking about

http://www.mattdean.com/becausewebelieve.mp3

Sounds a lot like Stylus RMX :-)

Hi Eric,

I thought so too, but couldn't find it in libraries. Honestly, I didn't spend too much time looking. Is it the processing that gives it that sound? Or is there that exact sound in the libraries? Of course, it's possible it's from on eof the expanders I don't own.

You can create that sound fairly easily using the Power Filter in RMX.

It's really nothing more than a percussion/percussive loop run thru a resonant filter. RMX would be ideal for this (and my guess is that's what was used here) since you've got so many great loops too choose from and the filter in it is really superb, but you could get a similar sound with any good filter plug-in.
    The exact result depends on the source loop and the exact settings of the filter (mode, cutoff, resonance and any cutoff modulation).

matto

Definetally RMX, if not easily done in it. I have not idea what I would do without RMX! Thank you for RMX!!
    www.energiestudios.com

I love that sound. I could get RMX for that sound alone. There is a great demo tune on spectrasonics.net that shows that Stylus RMX is the device for this type of percussion: http://www.spectrasonics.net/instrum...rmx/demos.html
    Scroll down and listen to "I Can Hear You" by Tobias Marberger. Truely amazing.

If you don't have Stylus RMX, take any good loop and pitch it down and use an eq to cut the high frequences, and maybe some low frequences too? Personally I find pitching a percussive loop down a bit to be pretty effective.

A low pass filter (cutoff filter) I believe. I might be wrong. But you could use an EQ as well as I stated earlier.

EDIT: This percussive effect in the clip from Age Of Mythology... it sounds like it has some kind of distortion that makes it almost sound like the old Nintendo. The Scream in Reason can easily do this. So to sum it up... pitch down, cut frequences with filter or EQ and add slight distortion. There you go!

Quote Originally Posted by Stagwall
    But you could use an EQ as well as I stated earlier.
    If you're talking about the Bocelli example EQ is not gonna do it. You need a filter that has a resonance parameter...a resonant filter as I said earlier.

Argitoth, as someone who is a self-proclaimed Absynth programming expert I would've expected you to know how to get this sound...Absynth could do this quite easily as well, you just need to import an appropriate percussive sample loop.

matto

Go Back to forum