• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Sennheiser mics

Share/Bookmark

Question OT: Sennheiser mics

What do you think about Sennheiser mic's?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: OT: Sennheiser mics

Hm, I have a couple of MD 421 II that I use for my kick and toms once in a while on stage. They take a beating and always sound excellent. Most of the sound techs that I have worked with love them for live application. I never used one for studio though the claim is good for guitar and vocals. The MD 421 II's are not cheap at around $350. Never used any of Sennheiser's other mics except wireless for theatre.
    Styxx

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    What do you think about Sennheiser mic's?
    They make some classic mics that are great. 421's, 441's, and 409's are all go-to mics for their given purposes.

If you're still speaking in terms of live organ recording, then MKH-50's are popular for that type of application. Lots of people use them in x/y and other standard stereo setups. Their claim to fame is having very low inherent noise. They're nice mics.

You relly have to look at the model number and the application.

For instance in the film world, shotguns are the best bet for outdoor use. But compare a K6-ME66 system to an MKH-416, and there's a ton of difference. The K6 is one of the better low cost shotguns (compared to Azden and Audio-Technica sub $500 mics), but it's thin as a snake's spine when compared to the 416, which has become a video/film production classic.

Same thing with Audio-Technica. I've got an AT815b at work, and it's even thinner than the K6. Then again, I've heard simultaneous recordings of the MKH-416 and the AT4073A, and they are fairly comparable.

Then again, put the MKH-416 or AT4073A in an untreated room, and they will sound as hollow as the soul of a spammer.

Microphone models tend to last for years and years. All of the majors make solid products. But you've really got to compare models rather than manufacturers, and you have to compare them for your target application.

Smile Re: OT: Sennheiser mics

I will probably also try to record few organ + trumpet pieces, so I'm thinking about buying one pair for the organ recording and one extra mic for the trumpet.

If I will go for Sennheiser I was thinking about take pair of e914 and maybe MD 421-II for the trumpet.

Would you think that could be great choice?

Btw. thx for all the info!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I don't know if I'd put a 421 in that particular setup. 421's have a good bit of honk in them, which is great for pushing a sax out on top of a mix, or getting a meaty tom sound. I think it would probably be a mismatched character to the other mics, and the trumpet would end up sounding disembodied.

Maybe the MKH 30-P48 is better suited?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

I *love* their MKH HF condenser line. I use the omni for almost everything where the room or hall allows it. A very good option for close miking as well. Extremely low noise and colouring, that allows you to shape the sound (if needed) any way you want. Having also owned and used 421 and 441s, I would favour the MKH's anytime, perhaps with the exception of singers that tend to spit

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    You relly have to look at the model number and the application.

For instance in the film world, shotguns are the best bet for outdoor use. But compare a K6-ME66 system to an MKH-416, and there's a ton of difference..
    I use a 416 almost every day as a tv sound recordist as my go-to mic (although I wish I could afford Schoeps' new shotgun mic as it remains directional down in the low frequencies), however,...
    The 416 was in fact superceded by th MKH40 but as it never seems to break it's hung around. It has all sorts of problems that were rectified by the MKH40, but it works if you don't swing it too much and its reach is only bettered by the 816.
    It's crap for music, as Jon said, get the right mic for the application. The best Senn mics are high-end and sound excellent.

Go Back to forum