• Register
  • Help

Topic: Viola Questions

Share/Bookmark

Viola Questions

Hello:

I'm working on a realization of Bach's 3rd Brandenburg Concerto and it's coming along quite nicely, but I need some viola advice.

For those who don't know or need a reminder, the orchestration for the concerto is as follows: 3 violins, 3 violas, 3 cellos, and basso continuo. I'm using the keyswitch solo instruments for the violins and the cellos, which works perfectly since there's a separate patch for each instrument.

However, there's only one solo viola keyswitch instrument in GPO, so I've been using the Viola Player 1, 2, 3 instruments. To be honest, I don't think they sound as good as the other instruments (insert requisite viola joke here). In particular, I really like the flexibility of the keyswitching for the bow strokes, trills, etc. So I was thinking of using 3 instances of the KS viola solo, but I remember reading that that wouldn't sound good, since you'll have three instruments with the same samples.

So, what's the solution here, if any? Should I use the KS solo viola and ramp up the VAR2 controller on them? Or, is there some way to get the KS functionality in the Player 1, 2, 3 instruments?

And on a different topic entirely, was a double bass and harpsichord for the continuo common in Bach's time?

Thanks for any replies!

Lightbulb Re: Viola Questions

Quote Originally Posted by ZachBG
    Hello:
    And on a different topic entirely, was a double bass and harpsichord for the continuo common in Bach's time?

Thanks for any replies!
    Harpsichord - definitely. String bass - very likely. Other possibilities are cello and bassoon (although bassoon is less likely when accompanying an all-string ensemble).

Enjoy!

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Go Back to forum