• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can't decide between Chameleon 5000, or Absynth 3

Share/Bookmark

Can't decide between Chameleon 5000, or Absynth 3

I'd welcome any thoughts, opinions, feedback on either of these instruments. Perhaps a list of the stuff I already use would help.

Spectrasonics Trilogy, Atmosphere, RMX
    G-Force Future Retro Pack (Mellotron, Oscar, ARP, Moog)
    Scarbee Vintage Keys
    Darbuka

I downloaded the Chameleon demo, and it seems like a nice synth...a bit bright and "glassy" sounding, but I could always mangle the sounds inside SX3. I'm looking for a synth that would add another dimension to the tools I already work with. My project combines electrnica/trip-hop elements with big walls of guitar. Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Re: Can't decide between Chameleon 5000, or Absynth 3

considering what you have (with the GForce family you already covered your analog needs with the best available, probably), I suggest:

- Zebra2 - http://www.u-he.com/Zebra2/

- Rapture - http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Rapture/default.asp

..or, Albino...or Blue -both knock Absynth & Chameleon for six as far as versatility & sound are concerned IMO (although I like & use both Abs/Chameleon).

Nigel

Thanks guys! I'll check out the alternate suggestions and download the demo's if they have 'em. Appreciate the help.

Sytrus sounds sexy, but alas, it's only PC. I'm a Mac guy

The Absynth Tutorial DVD from Native Instruments makes it easier to program.

If your wanting pads take a look at the inexpensive M42 Nebula and
    the Conrady sound set $45/$27 respectively ......it is reviewed at
    http://musicfaq.net/mfq/index.php?op...d=14&Itemid=31

no...YOU are the patch creating tool....the tutorial just explains very clearly
    how you can use the abilities of Absynth...of which if you remain ignorant you will sell this synth short, way short.

Your main question is - which to choose between these two - would be... difficult.

I would say if you plan to play straight on from the presets, Chameleon would be a lot of fun (except it sounds a bit thin and needs to be treated), and programming the patches is a lot easier compared to Absynth.

As for Absynth, most of its presets are soundscapes/fx. The sound quality is excellent. As what moosethree suggests, if you've decided to get Absynth, the tutorial DVD would help a lot especially if you want to create your own "playable" sounds. I felt the presets in Absynth are too varied and "weird". Not that it's not good, but might not suite everyone's taste.

I own these two and I used them for different reasons.

To be relevant to what you're doing - and judging by the line of plugins you have, (IMHO) Absynth could be the one to go for at this moment (because of its strangeness and uniqueness), providing if you're willing to spend time to learn.
    Peter Wong
    NEXUSCREATIVE.COM
    MUSIC . SOUND . MULTIMEDIA DESIGN

Absynth sounds digitaly? yes, of course, it's a synth, but it has a lot of organic patches with very very natural sensation and without samples in its own.
    I decided it when I listened to it in Special Cases, by Massive Attack and i saw "The Abyss" patch from "atmospheric & weird 1 (or 2)" from Absynth Patch Library inside that track.
    Timo Maas use it in some tracks of his last album ("Loud").
    Absynth is more dark, textured, toxic, noisely....
    Chameleon is more clearly, sintetic...

In CPU performance, Absynth wins!
    G5 2x2 ~ Powerbook ~ Tascam FW-1082 ~ Event PS5 ~ Logic Pro ~ Stylus RMX ~ Absynth ~ Cameleon5000

Absynth is amazing, great sounds are available if you program it correctly.

Go Back to forum