• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sampletekk or Post? I am so confused.

Share/Bookmark

Sampletekk or Post? I am so confused.

I hate doing this. I really hate it, but here it goes.

I am killing myself trying to decide - I want to buy one or the other (or a bundle from either company) - no matter which product or company, I am using Kontakt2.

I know this is based on opinion, but . . .

If you had to choose, would it be The White Piano from Sampletekk

or

Either the Emperor or the Bosendorfer 290 from PMI?

My music I create is new age, instrumental, rock, pop, country, and then I also create dance, trance, techno - that kind of stuff. Mostly geared towards game music. I bought Vintaudio's C7 but, between Kontakt 2 crashes on certain mic positions and, simply put, not enough velocity layers, I want something else.

I am so very sorry for starting up another WHICH IS BETTER thread, but I really am confused as to which I like better and I cannot buy both.

The demos all sound FANTASTIC from both companies. The White piano has amazing endorsements from reputeable individuals and the emperor and bosendorfer 290 has excellent reviews in reputeable magazines. PMI has demonstrated it's scripting use of Kontakt2.

So what do you all think, considering the three products I have looked at and the kind of music that these pianos will be played for?

Thanks so much and lets not flame each other on this one.

Mike

Re: Sampletekk or Post? I am so confused.

Make sure there are no isseus with PMI and Kontakt 2.1.1 (this weeks update)

I have not updated. Since I heard so many horror stories and, other than Vintaudio, I have not had any other problems (I have tons of sample collections that work 100%), I decided to not upgrade. I feel it was wise.

I will have to upgrade soon, as I plan on buying Ruby (I already bought Emerald + the uprgrade) and he is using items specific to the new update.

Mike

Mike,
    owning all three, and several others besides: the Emperor is a superior beast to the Bos 290 (fewer sonic flaws, more layers, great basic sound) whilst sounding similar (same piano model). i haven't got those samples loaded as i don't use them anymore, maybe someone else can tell you which is dryer/wetter etc. The White Grand has more velocity layers than the PMI pianos and, to me, sounds smoother for it. It is a far brighter piano (though the Emperor cuts through quite well too). Presuming the various noises/tonal changes on some of the PMI samples don't bother you, i think it comes down to tone.

I don't really know what new age is, but for dance/trance/techno i'd get the White Grand - it should cut through effortlessly. Despite the overall great-sounding recordings, i wouldn't buy another PMI sample, so i may be biased, but i wish it were otherwise.

p.s. Ivory (Synthogy) and TBO (Sampletekk) might be worth checking out

Just to throw another perspective to consider here...the SampleTekk White Grand is $119.00 for the downloadable (multiformat version), and the PMI Emperor and Bos 290 are both $50.00 each directly from PMI. So for the price of the White Grand, you could actually purchase both of the PMI pianos.

The price for the White Grand is $119, but you can get the "smaller" version, WG Jr, for $49.
    WG Jr has 8 velocity layers pedal up, 8 pedal down and 4 release, so I wouldn't call it samll.... Just small in compared with White Grand (16/16/4).
    You can upgrade WG Jr to the full White Grand for $79. Compared to most other pianos, it's actually quite large!
    Both pianos are available on DVD or as DirectDownload.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

WORRA ROCKS!

I'll shut up now
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Mike, the obvious answer (though I'm sure not the one you'd like to hear ) is that, given the wide stylistic range you're hoping to cover, you need both.

WG has a very crisp sound perfect for those cases where the piano has too cut thru a lot of track clutter, but is too bright (IMHO) for some of the mellower styles.

The Emperor is, tonally speaking, my favorite piano for solo piano or piano features, particularly with the K2 resonance scripts (followed very closely by Sampletekk's "Black Grand", which is a bit more expressive due to the additional layers, and has "cleaner" Samples; e.g. you can hear birds chirping on some of the lowest level samples in the Emperor, although this is noticeable only over headphones and if you boost those layers very considerably, and has never been a problem for me in practice, even in solo recordings). Due to the crystalline sound of a Boesendorfer, the Emperor actually cuts thru fairly well (better than Black Grand, for example), but it's not very close miked which means it may be too "ambient" for some dense stuff (where the WG would be ideal).

If you can get the Ultimate C7 close miked version to work, you might use that for your more agressive needs (where the realtive lack of velocity layers shouldn't be much of an issue) and complement it with the Emperor for everything else...but again ideally you'd get both Emperor and White Grand.

And yes, you definitely shouldn't overlook the Seven Seas (which I don't own - yet ), although it will place considerably higher demands on your system than either Emperor or WG.

matto

Mike,

Email franky at vintaudio about your issues - i had the same ones and he sent me some new nki files that fixed everything.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by karmacomposer
    I hate doing this. I really hate it, but here it goes.

I am killing myself trying to decide - I want to buy one or the other (or a bundle from either company) - no matter which product or company, I am using Kontakt2.

I know this is based on opinion, but . . .

If you had to choose, would it be The White Piano from Sampletekk

or

Either the Emperor or the Bosendorfer 290 from PMI?

My music I create is new age, instrumental, rock, pop, country, and then I also create dance, trance, techno - that kind of stuff. Mostly geared towards game music. I bought Vintaudio's C7 but, between Kontakt 2 crashes on certain mic positions and, simply put, not enough velocity layers, I want something else.

I am so very sorry for starting up another WHICH IS BETTER thread, but I really am confused as to which I like better and I cannot buy both.

The demos all sound FANTASTIC from both companies. The White piano has amazing endorsements from reputeable individuals and the emperor and bosendorfer 290 has excellent reviews in reputeable magazines. PMI has demonstrated it's scripting use of Kontakt2.

So what do you all think, considering the three products I have looked at and the kind of music that these pianos will be played for?

Thanks so much and lets not flame each other on this one.

Mike
    I also have all 3, and without doubt would go with Emperor.....still my favorite by far from over a dozen libraries. Have just placed an order for Worra's Seven C's, so time will tell if Emperor still reigns :-) But i just love it's majestic, full sound, and unbelievabe bottom end. Equally suitable for jazz, ballads, new age, funk....whatever. I use a Yamaha P250 as a controller with medium velocity settings, and it responds beautifully to my "touch". But once again personal choice is very subjective....

Mal

Go Back to forum