• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GigaSTudio 3 with Finale and Cubase SX 3.0

Share/Bookmark

GigaSTudio 3 with Finale and Cubase SX 3.0

Can anybody help? Running a fast windows computer here 2 gig ram @ 3gHz, and a dedicated Maxtor External H.D. 350 Gig to stream sound. No Latency problems. Echo Layla 24 Sound Card. Getting some pops off it. Making long sound recordings of 15 minutes each. Everything is fine until I introduce Cubase SX3 using REWIRE. I want to tweek and record through Cubase. System CRASHES.

Tried everything.

Equipment is new. Any advice is appreciated. Also, every time I record a wave file (presently doing it entirely through Gigstudio) - it is being read as a "protected" file and I'm not able to make an MP3 of my own stuff.

Got a deadline. Sure could use some help. I'm in Tokyo and it is difficult to call for support to the software folks.

Any ideas regarding the occasional pops on the Echo? Thank you, thank you - all geeks and wizards!

Re: GigaSTudio 3 with Finale and Cubase SX 3.0

It sounds like you have three problems:
    1) pops, 2) protected files, and 3) crashes with Rewire.

First, make sure that you've disabled Quicksound's file monitor (F2 | Quicksound | Monitor File Activity) for good measure.

For pops, have you tried increasing the latency? Have you done the tweaks listed on the Giga site? (I use http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP.html - it's more comprehensive.)

For the protected files, it sounds like the capture isn't ending properly. Certainly, you can reboot and get access to the files. Hopefully the quicksound tweak above will fix it. After capturing, try turning everything related to capture OFF in Giga.

Regarding the crashes in Rewire, have you tried running Giga the old fashioned way? Just send the Cubase tracks out MIDI Port "n", Channel "m". Assuming that Port "n" is a Giga port, and you have an instrument loaded on channel "m", it should play.

Also, you can automate capture. Make Cubase send a MIDI Start command at the start and an Stop command a few bars after the end of your track, and you can set Giga to automatically capture and stop capturing, based on playback from your sequencer.

Unfortunately, I don't have Cubase, and I don't use Rewire, so I can't help with those details.

Best of luck,

My headaches continue. I say, to heck with REWIRE. I can live without it and the system seems to be too touch-y with it. My first recording from Giga is good, but then I have to convert the files - That's when I get the pops - and of course I'm doing it now through Windows (did anybody hear me say that?) because I'm having problems with Cubase. Naturally I'll get pops and wheezes and every other thing. So - I import the thing to CUBASE SX 3.0, and it sounds great - all goes well, but doesn't end well. nyway, I get my reverb and everything the way I want it and EXPORT. Hu-ey. Sure. No sound. The file is hefty - looks like a LOT is there, says so too, but there is NO sound! I've gone to every troubleshooting forum around and made every setting imaginable and still, no sound to these export files. I process 'em, I mark 'em, and then export 'em, and somewhere they've gone through the looking glass to La La land. I have Windows Sounds turned off. My Layla, which I dearly love, is giving me good sound, (all the junk happens when I have to resort to the XP system). I can't seem to make a simple recording. My hair is turning gray. If I smoked the ashtray would be over flowing! I've tried the midi capture but FINALE as a sequencer doesn't seem to cooperate. I get an error saying it is beyond FINALE's "capabilities." Now why should THAT be a problem? So, I need to simplify and get something out. But can't. Just can't. Thank you for replying!

You can export the MIDI file from Finale and open it in a sequencer. You'll have to setup the ports and channels, as that's not in the midi file, but it may get you from point A to point B. Try running Cubase to the Giga Port, not using Rewire.

Good luck.

It sounded too beautiful for words - I could export my FINALE file, import into CUBASE SX 3.0 as a midi file with the tracks intact, and use 3.0 as my sequencer with Giga for my sounds, which I already have set up and - Walla! - Ready to tweak and have some fun. ONLY, for some reason Giga goes immediately into REWIRE mode and won't support Cubase as the sequencer . . .Cubase shows up as the sequencer (which I changed in the settings) shows it, it opens it, but won't play it under demand. It reverts to REWIRE. What now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer
    It sounded too beautiful for words - I could export my FINALE file, import into CUBASE SX 3.0 as a midi file with the tracks intact, and use 3.0 as my sequencer with Giga for my sounds, which I already have set up and - Walla! - Ready to tweak and have some fun. ONLY, for some reason Giga goes immediately into REWIRE mode and won't support Cubase as the sequencer . . .Cubase shows up as the sequencer (which I changed in the settings) shows it, it opens it, but won't play it under demand. It reverts to REWIRE. What now?
    Disable rewire.

D

Thank you. I disabled rewire. I had not noticed the check box for doing that. Couldn't figure out why rewire mode kept kicking in even when I disabled the WAVE editor as Cubase. So, I exported the Finale file as midi and imported it into cubase and got it working but my gosh - it's terrible. All performance data and dymanics is lost. Not enough hours in the day to tweak it. The sound is thin and not rich as it was before. Strange. Guess I will go back to my Finale/giga product and call myself lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer
    Thank you. I disabled rewire. I had not noticed the check box for doing that. Couldn't figure out why rewire mode kept kicking in even when I disabled the WAVE editor as Cubase. So, I exported the Finale file as midi and imported it into cubase and got it working but my gosh - it's terrible. All performance data and dymanics is lost. Not enough hours in the day to tweak it. The sound is thin and not rich as it was before. Strange. Guess I will go back to my Finale/giga product and call myself lucky.
    If the data is not there, then there are two possibilities. Either it wasn't exported in the first place (I don't use Finale so I don't know how it does this) or Cubase does not recognise the data, as it is Finale specific. I would guess that this is a Finale problem, as it works fine with Sibelius. Can you be more specific about the data that's missing. For example there are many ways of doing dynamics, so it would help to know what is not working.

D

Daryl's right. Sibelius exports its data as standard CC controllers, and it shows up in the sequencers just fine.

Maybe you saved an older MIDI version, or didn't click a box for exporting stuff aside from note on/off. I'm not sure, but you should certainly be able to make Finale export these things.

I've never had problems exporting MIDI files from Finale to Sonar. All MIDI data is standard.

Go Back to forum