• Register
  • Help

Topic: Horn / Brass "Lifts"?

Share/Bookmark

Question Horn / Brass "Lifts"?

Anyone have a technique for Brass "Lifts"? If I could only POST AN AUDIO SAMPLE!
    Styxx

Re: Horn / Brass "Lifts"?

Do you mean an upward bend after the note is attacked? If so, I'd like to hear the answer as well.

Thumbs up Re: Horn / Brass "Lifts"?

Yeah, I guess that's a good way to describe it. I'm not a brass player although I took brass technique in college for education major. It's a really cool effect when executed correctly. The first time I experienced and heard it call a "Lift" was in a 12 piece big band I played with for two and a half years. Cool sound! As a matter of fact if you can find a copy of the movie "Police Squad" the signature theme has perfect examples of brass "Lifts" all over!
    Styxx

When you hit a note and on the release you gliss upwards to a non-specific pitch, trumpet players call that a "doit". Is that what you're looking for?

It's the opposite version of a brass "fall-off", where you gliss downward on the note's release.

Jeff

Yes it's a doit... JABB has them built in. cc.15, range 65-95. Unfortunately, it's only in the high register (for some unknown reason).

Rich

Trumpet players lip slur but don't doit in low registers. At least I have not heard one do it while playing in big bands on sax. It would be an odd effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Chet Heflin
    Trumpet players lip slur but don't doit in low registers. At least I have not heard one do it while playing in big bands on sax. It would be an odd effect.

I disagree. I am a trumpet player. I've had to doit from a second line G.

R.

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler
    I disagree. I am a trumpet player. I've had to doit from a second line G.

R.
    Hmmmm, this is certainly a head-scratcher because second line G (concert F) happens to be the lowest note that has both doits and falloffs for the trumpets. As a trumpet player myself (I'm trumpets 1, 4, 5, and the flugelhorns in J&BB - and before someone asks, except for the flugels it was different sessions, microphones, instruments, etc. yadda, yadda), I agree with you that this is about the lowest note I've encountered for these effects, hence the choice for the library. So, it isn't intended to be confined to just high notes. I just now did a random check of the programming to make sure (wouldn't be the first time I had made a mistake - after all, I'm a trumpet player - so best to check) and all seems to be functioning as designed with the instruments I chose to try here tonight. More info please, in case there's an error lurking in there someplace.

Tom

Go Back to forum