• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What instrument is this?!

Share/Bookmark

Question What instrument is this?!

Hey guys, scoring a documentary and am trying to figure out what intruments these guys are playing. Burma, circa 1950's.

Anyone got any ideas?! Many thanks!

Tweed!

Re: What instrument is this?!

They look like cedar wood mouth organs.

Paul, thanks for such a prompt and seemingly correct reply. I believe you're right from researching your response. It's said to vibrate like a harmonica...interesting. I wish I could hear a soundclip as to what it sounds like.

Regardless, thank you very much for your help!

Best! -Tweed

Quote Originally Posted by Tweedbox
    Paul, thanks for such a prompt and seemingly correct reply. I believe you're right from researching your response. It's said to vibrate like a harmonica...interesting. I wish I could hear a soundclip as to what it sounds like.

Regardless, thank you very much for your help!

Best! -Tweed
    That's a pleasure. The sound? The problem with describing sound is that it's of course totally subjective. It would be like trying to describe the sound of a violin to someone who has never heard a violin before.
    With regard to Burmese mouth organs - I think it would be fair to say - think a type of bagpipe chanter without being attached to the bagpies. A great deal of resonance, especially when you've got quite a few players. Imagination may be the key to be in here.

Smile Re: What instrument is this?!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    That's a pleasure. The sound? The problem with describing sound is that it's of course totally subjective. It would be like trying to describe the sound of a violin to someone who has never heard a violin before.
    With regard to Burmese mouth organs - I think it would be fair to say - think a type of bagpipe chanter without being attached to the bagpies. A great deal of resonance, especially when you've got quite a few players. Imagination may be the key to be in here.
    Good point about the subjectivity of sound. Reminds me of a review Bruce once wrote about strings. Something to the effect of strings being "music wrestled from wood and wire and hair from a horse’s patooty". Ha! Still cracks me up!

I'm getting an idea of what you're talking about from your description. Again, I really do appreciate it and will kick my imagination into high gear. Best to you mate.

-Scott

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Guys, those are combination machine guns/hookahs.

They are very popular in some of your middle eastern countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Guys, those are combination machine guns/hookahs.

They are very popular in some of your middle eastern countries.
    And yet, one more colorful elaborative from, the man!

Thanks Bruce, now my imagination just got another kick in the seat! Ha!

-Cheers

These are mouth organs, either from cedar or bamboo, similar to the Chinese Sheng and Thai Kaen.

As already mentioned, they use free-reeds, like harmonica and accordeon do. Instruments like these are being used for thousands of years in Central/East Asia, and are probably the grandfather of all western free-reed instruments.

I have instruments with similar timbres available in my RAW collection.

I thought they were just guys setting up the tripods for the film shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Witkam
    These are mouth organs, either from cedar or bamboo, similar to the Chinese Sheng and Thai Kaen.

As already mentioned, they use free-reeds, like harmonica and accordeon do. Instruments like these are being used for thousands of years in Central/East Asia, and are probably the grandfather of all western free-reed instruments.

I have instruments with similar timbres available in my RAW collection.
    Herman, thanks for the great insight, and offer of your samples. I hadn't pursued use of them before, however, it seems more and more work I am getting could use the flavors of your library. I sent you an email about it. Thanks again!

Sincere regards, Scott

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    I thought they were just guys setting up the tripods for the film shoot
    LMAO!

Go Back to forum