• Register
  • Help

Topic: A MP3 Download Site With A New Twist

Share/Bookmark

A MP3 Download Site With A New Twist

It's called AllOFMP3 and they have just loads of music and it's cheap. I mean like a dollar or two per album. You ask how can they do this. The sad fact is that they are not paying royalties to anyone.

They're a total pirate rip off business based in Russia claiming that under Russian law they don't have to pay royalties.

Here's the article from the Register.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05...ofmp3_illegal/

Here's the site. Do a search for The Beatles. I counted 117 albums available!
    http://allofmp3.com/

Re: A MP3 Download Site With A New Twist

I heard about the site a few weeks ago... very fishy business. It should be illegal but they are surviving on some kind of legal loophole somewhere. Evil people!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thanks for pointing out the illegal nature of this website. I was wondering how this could be. I will cancel my account there right away!!!

But you know, this site is the ONLY site where I was able to open an account to buy mp3s. The mp3-industry makes it VERY difficult for honest people, like me, who wants to legally buy mp3s online. I'm a South African-born, Belgian citizen, who happens to live for the last decade in Taiwan. One of these facts makes it IMPOSSIBLE for me to open an account at iTunes, MusicMatch or ANY of the other of the legal online mp3 shops. It seems my VISA card is not good enough for those shops. It is SO UNFAIR! No wonder there is so much piracy in the word. If honest people can't get access, then the dishonest ones are not even going to think twice. I can't say that they're entirely to blame in the end.

Sorry, if this sounded like a rant . I don't usually air my frustrations in public like this.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Yikes, I'd be extremely frustrated as well! That really stinks!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Louis, you really ought to sue these companies for discrimination. If that is too much for you - and it would no doubt be a lot of hassle - try a letter from a lawyer. This usually makes people reconsider their options.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Thanks for pointing out the illegal nature of this website. I was wondering how this could be. I will cancel my account there right away!!!
    Well, Louis, it truly speaks well of your high moral integrity to take this action, and I applaud you for so doing!!!

I understand how a person can be caught in a situation where there are overwhelming forces attempting to compel making unethical or immoral choices. I wish I could offer a solution to your problem. All I can offer is my praise for your stance.

Richard

Thumbs up Re: A MP3 Download Site With A New Twist

Phillip, very wise of you to post this for us all. One great aspect of this forum is how we all seem to look out for one another. No matter who or where we are! I myself would have never know.
    Thanks again!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    I'm a South African-born, Belgian citizen, who happens to live for the last decade in Taiwan. One of these facts makes it IMPOSSIBLE for me to open an account at iTunes, MusicMatch or ANY of the other of the legal online mp3 shops. It seems my VISA card is not good enough for those shops. It is SO UNFAIR!
    Louis,

I applaud your integrity. Honor is not the prevalent social trend these days, which makes it even that much more admirable.

I also understand your frustration, but I thought it might be helpful for you to hear from the other side of the fence, so to speak. My company takes all the major credit cards through my online store. Part of the configuration of the store is choosing which countries you'll accept orders from. Mine is currently limited to the US and Canada. There are two reasons for this. First, since I sell signed copies of my books, the shipping to anywhere outside of these countries would cost more than the book itself, and I can't in good conscience charge that kind of shipping to people kind enough to order from me.

However, my latest venture is www.DownloadAClue.com, which is an online service. There are no products to ship, only a $12 annual subscription. Consequently, you'd think there would be no problem accepting orders from anywhere, right? Well, the problem is that, as in the case of this rip off mp3 company, the world is a big place with lots and lots of Internet fraud. And a high percentage of people who steal credit card numbers do so from outside the US to avoid prosecution in this country.

One would think that this would be no problem. I mean, if someone pays me with a stolen credit card and I'm later contacted and made aware of this, then I just cancel the order and refund the charge, right? Well, the problem is, if a credit card merchant starts having a lot of fraud associated transactions, or even a lot of refunds for that matter, they run a high risk of having their credit card processing account closed, and good luck getting someone else to take you on after that.

For those of us who depend on credit card transactions for business, this would be a disaster. Consequently, many companies limit the countries that they'll do business with out of pure self defense. And trust me, we don't like doing it any better than you do. We want to be able to take orders from the entire world, and this limits our income. In the end, however, we sometimes have to make decisions that keep us from being put out of business. I personally find this very frustrating, especially in the case of download a clue, as it's a service that is entertaining and useful to the entire English speaking world. And yet, to cover my rear, I have to be cautious, which means limiting my market.

I realize that none of this information helps you. However, given the quality of your character, I thought it might be at least a little useful for you to understand why this happens. It's not discrimination, it's self defense under protest. Trust me, we'd much rather take your money.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum