• Register
  • Help

Topic: What's up with Chicken Systems ?!?!

Share/Bookmark

What's up with Chicken Systems ?!?!

I bought a Roland Fantom X-a lat year for gigging with my band. Just the other day, I finally installed extra Ram and a memory card in it so I could load my own samples. I really wanted to convert my Akai SOV into my Fantom. So I start the long and painful process of installing the converter software and then reading the manual for the Roland and the software. Went through all the steps. Hell, just plugging in the USB cable on the roland is a pain in the butt big time. All kinds of modes and menu switching just to get set up to use the dang program. Then, when I finally get the program to show me the Akai programs, and I try to do the conversion process, it errors. I wrote a post about it on the roland forums here if anyone thinks they might be able to help. http://forums.rolandclan.info/index....6&fid=1&page=1 Aside from that, I google Chicken systems to find thier site. I thought they used to have a forum here but I cant find it. THere was a link on thier site to a forum so I clicked on it. It took me to a NS page that said that I cant access that page. What is all that about? Help please!? This is driving me nuts. I've probably got almost $200 bucks in RAM, memory card adaptor and smart media wrapped up in this thing just so I could play my akai samples and I am having no luck at all. You know, after years of playing with soft synths and samplers, I really appreciate how smooth and intuitively thay run compared to this roland freaking nightmare of BS that I'm dealing with right now. It's just almost shady when you buy something that is advertised to do certain functions but they are almost impossible to get going. Anyway, if anyone has any insight to offer towards the problem at hand or Chicken systems forum, I'd much appreciate the help.

Eric

Re: What's up with Chicken Systems ?!?!

Best bet is to email Garth at support@chickensys.com

He is pretty much a one-man company and is generally very responsive. However, it can take time for him to work out bugs, what with all the different samplers he supports. (And he does the conversion work for Kontakt, so he is always busy.) I think he stopped the support forum because he didn't have enough time to manage it.

Good luck,

Fred G.

Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

You might consider building your patches wav by wav in the fantom, I'm not trying to be funny or anything. I spoke with a developer who's piano I use on my Fantom. He said he built his patches manually because it seemed to be the only way to get things done on the Fantom.
    The 100+mb sound set I use takes over 5 minutes to load on boot up.

Did you contact us? if you didn't, just email us at support@chickensys.com

I am doing some gigs with the Fantom recently. I just did a bunch of instruments in Kontakt, and when I was done, converted them into Fantom format using Translator, worked very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    I really wanted to convert my Akai SOV into my Fantom. So I start the long and painful process of installing the converter software and then reading the manual for the Roland and the software. Went through all the steps. Hell, just plugging in the USB cable on the roland is a pain in the butt big time. All kinds of modes and menu switching just to get set up to use the dang program.
    From the following, I assume you are talking about the Chicken Systems Fantom Convertor; but from what you just wrote, it corresponds to the Roland Convertor they did, that converts just ROland material to Fantom.

The CS Fantom Convertor is an easy install, and also doesn't require hooking up via USB if you don't want to.

The Fantom uses a memory card - on yours, a Compact Flash - but when you hook up via USB all that you're doing is really using the Fantom as a $2000 card reader/writer. =) The better option is to just do everything on the computer, read/write the CF card on the computer (always a good idea to have a card reader on your computer), and use the Fantom Convertor that way.

Then, when I finally get the program
    Again, "the program" is CS Fantom Convertor? (It would have to be - the Roland one doesn't support Akai.

to show me the Akai programs, and I try to do the conversion process, it errors. I wrote a post about it on the roland forums here if anyone thinks they might be able to help. http://forums.rolandclan.info/index....6&fid=1&page=1 Aside from that, I google Chicken systems to find thier site.
    Read the Fantom Convertor manual. That is the best place to check. support@rolandsamplers.org is the email.

I thought they used to have a forum here but I cant find it.
    We used to.

THere was a link on thier site to a forum so I clicked on it. It took me to a NS page that said that I cant access that page. What is all that about? Help please!? This is driving me nuts. I've probably got almost $200 bucks in RAM, memory card adaptor and smart media wrapped up in this thing just so I could play my akai samples and I am having no luck at all. You know, after years of playing with soft synths and samplers, I really appreciate how smooth and intuitively thay run compared to this roland freaking nightmare of BS that I'm dealing with right now. It's just almost shady when you buy something that is advertised to do certain functions but they are almost impossible to get going. Anyway, if anyone has any insight to offer towards the problem at hand or Chicken systems forum, I'd much appreciate the help.
    Fire awway - I'd like to make your life easier.

Go Back to forum